Freezing before humidor

malba2366

• 3 weeks later...

It's getting me scared! I came across a very small hole in one of my Ashton VSG's and got concerned. It'll be good to get a fix on symptoms cause i'm buying so many sticks, i think i'm gonna take the "holding tank" route too so I can isolate them in a quarantine before I introduce the sticks into my aging chest.

• 1 month later...

To be safe I would freeze for about 5 days. 2-3 days is not long enough. I just had a cigar I bought in Cabo San Lucas in Sept. 2013 that I froze for 3 days and the beetles hatched last week.

In 2012 bought a few cigars at the LCDH in Cozumel and had a beetle hatch on a RA Superiores a couple days later. I don't believe that Cuba freezes every box. Was lucky that both cigars where inside plastic bags.

That's interesting and true! You learn something new every day..

L. serricorne cannot tolerate the cold; adults die within 6 days at 4 °C, and eggs survive 5 days at 0–5 °C. - Wikipedia

Thanks for the heads up Cubano.

• 3 weeks later...

That's interesting and true! You learn something new every day..

L. serricorne cannot tolerate the cold; adults die within 6 days at 4 °C, and eggs survive 5 days at 0–5 °C. - Wikipedia

Thanks for the heads up Cubano.

Yes, but once you hit -8 C or so (most deep freezers are below this temp), there's a 100% kill rate for eggs, larvae, and adults, all within 24 hrs or less.

There is no need in Europe to freeze our cuban cigars.

In the headquarter of 5THAvenue (general importer) all products are frozen for seven days at minus 20 °C.

This procedure reliably kills all the possible presence of tobacco beetles and their larvae.

There is no need in Europe to freeze our cuban cigars.

In the headquarter of 5THAvenue (general importer) all products are frozen for seven days at minus 20 °C.

This procedure reliably kills all the possible presence of tobacco beetles and their larvae.

5th avenue are only the importer for Germany I thought?