Electrical humidifier higher than I set it

I recently received a cabinet humidor with a Moist-N-Aire electric humidifier as a gift. He also gave me his whole collection of NC cigars and told me to set the humidity at 80% for the first day. I stored it at 80% for a little over a day and I let the humidity out and set it to 66% to store my CC. About an hour later I went to check the humidity and it was at 82%. I checked with two different hygrometers and they were the same. Why would it be so much higher than I set it.

Sounds like there is excess humidity still coming out of the woodwork. Seasoning a humidor is not a task to try and hurry at all.

It should come down slowly unless your humidifier is still on when it's up that high, then you may have an issue with it's sensor not reading right.

Be patient and see what it does over the next few days.

Are your temps stable?

It should come down slowly unless your humidifier is still on when it's up that high, then you may have an issue with it's sensor not reading right.

Be patient and see what it does over the next few days.

Are your temps stable?

The temperature is stable but it never turned off in over a day.

The temperature is stable but it never turned off in over a day.

I would then take that humidifier out and leave the hygrometers in the cabinet and see what you are actually at.

If the humidifier was a gift, well as the saying goes, "don't look a gift horse in the mouth"

It could be pooched.

I had turned it down to right under 60 after I saw it so high and it just turned off for the first time. I checked the humidity and it said 71. I'm just going to try it out for another day or two and if I keep having problems I'm going to buy another humidifier. I saw a cigar oasis plus with wifi. It sounds about right for my humidors size plus I could check the humidity with wifi.

My hunidifier is much the same. I set it for 60%rh and it keeps my Humidor at a steady 65%rh. It has done that since it was new so I just learned to work with it.

80 is too high, even for only a day. If the humidity is still high I would leave the door open till the wood inside the humi dries out, and calibrate the hygrometers to make sure they are reading correctly.