2014 Oscar Nominated Short Films - Animated

dafrey23

The wife and I got a chance to catch all the animated shorts this weekend. They included some honorable mention shorts as well so there were quite a few to see. I actually thought a couple of the honorable mentions were better than anything that was actually nominated. Here's a little synopsis of the shorts. I recommend going to your local theatre to catch them.

Nominated

Feral

About a boy who lives in the woods and is found by a man. That man brings him back to the city and tries to raise him as a normal human. Eventually the kid runs away back to the woods to live with the wolves.

Get a Horse!

It's a new Micky Mouse cartoon. Kinda fun. They mixed the old black and white 2D style animation with a new color 3D style to create a fun little cartoon. Standard old-school Micky Mouse stuff.

Mr. Hublot

This had a fun steampunk look about it. It's about a quirky old man who finds a dog on the street. The dog grows very large and destroys his house.

Possessions

A Japanese short about a traveling repairman who gets lost in the woods during a big storm and stumbles into an abandoned house. In that house he finds ghosts who have him repair different things. In the morning he awakes to find the ghosts gone, all the things he repaired there, and the storm over.

Room on the Broom

Based on a children's book about a witch who flies around on a broom. A dragon tracks her down and tries to eat her, but the friends she makes along the way save her. And they all live happily every after...

Honorable Mentions

A la Francaise

A fun short about human-like chickens living the Palace of Versailles. Not much of a story, but still fun.

This Missing Scarf

This was my favorite one. It's about a squirrel who loses his scarf. He travels around talking to other animals to try to find it. Each of the other animals has a problem that the squirrel helps them with in hopes of them helping him find his scarf. There's a huge twist at the end that's hilarious.

http://themissingscarf.com/

The Blue Umbrella

Story of a blue umbrella that finds a cute red umbrella and the crazy things the blue umbrella has to go through to be with the red umbrella.

Did you go to the Landmark Century to watch those, when i was in chicago I would go every year and watch the animated, have lunch then come back and watch the non-animated shorts. those were good times. thanks for the review

Yes we did. It's right down the street from our house. Nice little theatre that doesn't get much kid/teen traffic. They are going to renovate it soon and add a full service bar!