Varadero in January - HTF Cigars etc

I'm headed to Varadero the third week of January, staying at the Melia Las Antillas. I looked through some of the older threads but I'm still looking for more info.

We are heading to Havana for a day (night maybe?). Should we just find our own way around and take a bus?

As for cigars, what are the odds of finding some aged stock or discontinued? Any best bets on where to find this?

I have heard of issues buying singles and getting fakes, even at LCDH stores. I will bring back a couple boxes but would like more variety. Is it safe to buy 3 packs down there?

So excited to go. The next month is going to absolutely crawl. Amazing thing is our trip went up over 40% in price the day after we booked.

There is actually not much in cuba in the way of aged or discontinued stock either in havana or Varadero. Varadero however is more likely to still have new LE's in stock as opposed to havana where they get bought up fairly fast. Cehck out plaza las americas LCDH in varadero as well as the one on Calle 63. as for a day trip to havana I can hook you up with a reliable private taxi driver that will take you to havana and back. PM me if you are interested in this option.

It's always possible, but not terribly likely.

Just got back from a few days at the Las Antillas after a week in Havana. It's a short taxi ride to Varadero and the stores there (don't forget Calle 39 as well as the others mentioned).

Food was better than average for Varadero and the grounds are very pleasant. Hotel is getting quite run down though, and you'll need to get up early for a beach lounger :)

What are the odds of finding boxes of...

1) Boli Gold Medals

2) Diplo #4 or #5

..in Varadero?

You will have better luck winning the lottery than finding these anywhere in cuba.