Varadero in November

I'm planning to go on a trip to Cuba (first time!) in November with the wife. After doing some searching on this forum it seems for us (beach, relaxation, rum, cigars) Varadero is the way to go. After looking at trip advisor I've narrowed down the resort selection to either Iberostar Varadero or Paradisus Varadero.

I'm wondering if anyone has stayed at either of these two recently and what they thought.

Also I'm pretty close to picking the boxes I'm going to buy there but not sure on some. Can you purchase singles in cuba? Are resort prices over inflated?

I'm going to buy my cigars in Varadero (after reading some thread here) but not sure if I can make two trips into town (have no clue how far away or how much it costs to get there).

Oh and any rum suggestions are greatly appreciated too!

I have been to Varadero a couple of times and stayed at the MElia Las Americas. I would highly recommend this resort. I would not recommend buying your singles at the resort but at the LCDH's only. Single selection is limited in most shops in cuba. I usually buy only boxes and smoke some of them while down there. There is a bus that runs regularly into the town if you dont want to pay for a cab.

It trip to varadero from the resort is about 5 buck (CUC) to take the colectivo and the trip wont be long ( the peninsula is not that big). The Ibero star looked awesome when I went. I did not notice the other one.

Also the prices at the resort are higher than LCDH and the trip there is highly recommended. You can stop at the first one you see (just when you arrive in town) because the other one is farther and does no have the extensive stocks and the one on calle 63 (if I remember correctly)

I've stayed at both the Melia Las Americas and the Iberostar Varadero. They are both great......the benefit of staying at the Melia is that there is a Lcdh within walking distance at the Plaza Americas. I trust the ladies at the Plaza location over the Calle 63 location. The Iberostar is highly ranked as an all around good resort for all ages.....the Melia is great adults only. Pm me if you have more questions.....been to both recently.

Hubba I will shoot you a PM later today. Appreciate it!

Just got back from Varadero, stayeed at the Melia Las Americas. Resort was great, its pretty much right on the beach, we stayed in our own little bungalow which was cool. Food there isnt the greatest, but i didnt go there for the food ;)

I bought most of my cigars from Plaza Americas, there prices are right on, and they also sell a few singles. The LCDH on Calle 63 seemed to overcharge, even on some boxes.. I bought a box of RASS at Calle 63 it was $175, at Plaza Americas it was $151.25... you can also check out your boxes at Plaza Americas.

Anyways, beaches are awesome, youll have a good time!

feel free to ask me any questions

Varadero is fine for cigars but if you have the time take a bus to Havana. The resorts all arrange tours and you can get there for around 45 cuc's for just the bus ride or around 90 cuc if you do the tour group thing. A trip to Cuba is incomplete without spending time in Havana. It is a place not to be missed.

Went to Varadero this last june and stayed at the Memories Varadaro, nice place but a bit too big for my taste, i also stayed at the Arenas Doradas 2 years ago.

The LCDH in Varadero is very nice and you also have the house of rum juste across the street fron the LCDH. Varadero is a small strip of land containing about 50 resorts. You can go from your resort to downtown Varadero fot about 5 CUC and it does not take long. While in Varadero, i recommend that you visit Casa Dupont, it was the first house buily in Varadero (1928) you can rent rooms there and they have restaurants and a bar on the second floor, a must see.

I have to agree with AussieCanuck, a trip to Havana is a must, it takes about 3 hours by bus (ViaZul). The LCDH at Hotel Nacionale and the one at Hotel Cohiba are very nice.

Hope you have a nice trip

The LCDH at 33rd is my favourite in Varadero. I will not go back to the LCDH on 63rd. Horrible service. I can't stress this enough. As has been mentioned.....cab about (70CUC or Viazul (10CUC) each way. You should talk to some cabbies at your resort. They might drive you into Havana and spend the day there, then drive you back to the resort.

I was at Ocean varadero El Patriarca in December and liked it. I found it a very good value.