Can aging cigars in the cedar box have NEGATIVE impact?

Recently I came into possession of an 02 box of Sir Winnies that had been stored inside the original box with the original divider, wax paper, and the cedar insert. The box and cigars both have an "aged" cedar scent, that is very different from fresh boxes. The scent could be a mixture of cedar and cigar, as well as a decade of time.

Anyway, I smoked one and one of the biggest flavor I picked up was that exact cedar scent I just described. I did not entirely enjoy this as it was very overpowering of the other good smooth flavors the cigar was trying to show me. I have no idea how the box was stored, although I assume it was stored in the correct RH since the cigars themselves are physically fine and burned very well.

Would it make sense for me to move all the cigars out of the box into a fresh box that doesn't have the aged cedar smell? Could a few months or even a few years "detox" the scent or is it permanently embedded in and it would be pointless? Anyone else have a similar experience?