have I mentioned how much I hate Windows 8

Microsoft is diversifying because they know the PC is dead. PC sales are not growing at the rates they were in the past.

The slowing PC sales is correct but this is not an indication that the PC is either dead or being used less.

The fact is that PC equipment spec levels well exceed all current Operating System (OS) and Software requirements needed for the software to function.

Early in the PC/Software cycles almost every OS upgrade required a hardware upgrade....this is no longer the case.

Vista, Win 7 and Win 8 all operate with PCs up to 4 years old. And because I have an Android phone or a Tablet....98% of my use is still on my PC.

In my case my main PC is 4 core CPU running 64bit Win 7 and more that exceeds the current Win 8 minimum and recommended requirements. I do not intend to upgrade to Win 8. Even my old (backup) PC is 8+ years old and still runs Win 7 perfectly (at 32 bit).

Microsoft can go get (moderated).

Windows 7 rollout only recently started happening because XP is out of support.

This was mainly because Vista (like ME before XP) was a total flop.

On PCs Win 8 will also likely be a flop (it may suit tablets etc but is useless for Business).

If Win 8 was any good, businesses would be upgrading from XP to Win 8.

Seriously I am lost. IE 10 not compatible with forum.

End of rant....again wink.png

I use IE10 but for the Forum to function correctly I have used the Tools/ Compatibly View and it works fine.

The slowing PC sales is correct but this is not an indication that the PC is either dead or being used less.

The fact is that PC equipment spec levels well exceed all current Operating System (OS) and Software requirements needed for the software to function.

Early in the PC/Software cycles almost every OS upgrade required a hardware upgrade....this is no longer the case.

Vista, Win 7 and Win 8 all operate with PCs up to 4 years old. And because I have an Android phone or a Tablet....98% of my use is still on my PC.

In my case my main PC is 4 core CPU running 64bit Win 7 and more that exceeds the current Win 8 minimum and recommended requirements. I do not intend to upgrade to Win 8. Even my old (backup) PC is 8+ years old and still runs Win 7 perfectly (at 32 bit).

Microsoft can go get (moderated).

While I do agree with the PC specs being more than the avg user will ever need. It is not the only reason for the slower sales. The tablet is taking market share from the PC. Instead of upgrading an older but functional system it is augmented by a tablet in essence slowing the usual upgrade cycle.

Businesses are still on 3 year hardware lease for systems but I see more and more waiting for the hardware to fail or otherwise be unusable before upgrading. Also slowing the refresh cycles. Thin clients are the next thing in desktop computing for businesses. Leveraging VMware VDI / Horizon for desktops and other portable assets. Citrix is another player in the desktop virtualization space.

PC is not dead but the use case for it is changing and increasing the usable life span.

Most of my stuff at home is Linux, a macbook pro for work, and a powerhouse desktop running a bunch of virtual machines.

I used win8 and just hated every minute of it.