Bringing lighters and butane in checked baggage...

Just came across this again.

The Iroda thing that Marc shared is just top notch awesome. His Iroda was a go-to for most of us when we were all down in Havana a couple of weeks ago.

I'm gonna have to get me one (as are a bunch of us!). From here on, this will be my carry-on back up.

Wooooowwwwww!

Thanks keith! Im going to look into this.

I also forgot I had my favorite carbonfibre torch with me at security - no time to put in checked bag, I lost it and was not happy.

(when the woman who went thru my bag found it, she yelled "TORCH!!!" very loud, letting everyone know I was a criminal. I was not happy at all for losing it, had it many years, was a gift. Made me even more mad when I got thru the security and the first store in the airport I came to sold.... torches. Not a happy boy.

Oh, to answer the question they did say I could put it in my checked luggage. I'd leave out the can of fuel though and buy some at your destination.

If you aren't fussy on appearances, these are great.

http://www.amazon.co...iroda micro-jet

21U4BskBCcL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

For those other Canadians who are interested in getting one of these, check out Canadian Tire. They have them on sale right now, until next Thursday, Dec. 20th. They're on for 1/2 price, only $9.95 or so.

I just picked one up today. Awesome little tool.

Marc, definitely appreciate the head's up for all of us. This is gonna be my new little travel must-have item.

Just came across this again.

The Iroda thing that Marc shared is just top notch awesome. His Iroda was a go-to for most of us when we were all down in Havana a couple of weeks ago.

I'm gonna have to get me one (as are a bunch of us!). From here on, this will be my carry-on back up.

Marc, definitely appreciate the head's up for all of us. This is gonna be my new little travel must-have item.

Yep, is a hell of a gadget and I'm glad Marc shared his lighter in Havana cuz as soon as I got home, I bought me a couple and also one for a gift. Had them shipped to me within days of being home... thanks bro! :)

I forgot that I had my Xicar torch lighter in my computer bag and breezed through the eagle eyed TSA staff here in Frostbite without a problem. I enjoyed having it in Puerta Vallarta. I left it in the bag on the way back and the friendly Mexican security team picked it up on their scanner. Three of them looked at it and fired it up. Yes, it has a lovely blue flame. They chatted a bit and then put it through the X-ray again all by itself. When it came through the other side, they gave it to me and I was on my way home. Great service!

For those other Canadians who are interested in getting one of these, check out Canadian Tire. They have them on sale right now, until next Thursday, Dec. 20th. They're on for 1/2 price, only $9.95 or so.

Will the Bics down in Cuba fit? Or do I need to buy the iroda ones?

The iroda ones can be kept in your pant's pocket because it can only generate a soft flame (like a regular bic). It is also re-fillable and it will burn the cheap Chinese butane that is available at most LCDHs. As the lighter comes with one of the lighters already in it you are good to go!

The iroda ones can be kept in your pant's pocket because it can only generate a soft flame (like a regular bic). It is also re-fillable and it will burn the cheap Chinese butane that is available at most LCDHs. As the lighter comes with one of the lighters already in it you are good to go!

Thanks ok.gif

That, and I noticed that Iroda has their own replacement lighters available to purchase in twin packs. It was like $3.99, for two of their lighters in a pack, with the refilling valve on the bottom of them, all ready to go to use in the torch unit. Another option, if anyone wanted more than one lighter for this, for packing into multiple bags, to have additional backups. Yes, normal lighters will fit, but they also have these, to refill with your own fuel at home prior to flying, to have lots of flame available. Just another thought.

Thanks Keith. Just picked one up from Crappy Tire and I will go back and grab a pack of the refillables. I will make the Misses carry them! :)