Big Catfish...

Rays98GoVols

If that Channel Cat is 60 plus pounds then I believe that is a record. Of course, if he has already been fileted then the point is moot. Either way, them cats are good eatin'. hungry.gif

If that Channel Cat is 60 plus pounds then I believe that is a record. Of course, if he has already been fileted then the point is moot. Either way, them cats are good eatin'. hungry.gif

I caught them in a private lake in Seneca, Illinois. Little did I know what the Illinois record was until I released them and checked it out on the internet. When I pulled it in, I kept saying to myself 'that is the biggest Channel Cat I've ever seen'. Our scale only went up to 60 pounds, and this fish buried it. So I really do not know exactly how much over 60 it was, but it was easily over 60 lbs. I personally never eat a Catfish over 3-5 pounds. I release anything over 5 pounds to grow big, fat, and old....so I can catch them again.party.gif

Yeah, you are right. They don't taste too good when they get that big. I know some friends that will eat Big Blue and Yellow Cats, but I don't care for the meat when they get over a certain weight. And, BTW, that is the biggest Channel Cat I've ever seen, too.

Catch and release is the way to go. Very nice catch.

Thanks, they were fun. Growing up we use to eat alot of Catfish. My Dad was very good with fisshing Trot Liness(sp?). We either used Chicken Livers of Chicken Guts. Sometimes Stink Bait, but it ususally 'melted' off too fast...