Throwing together supper with w/e is laying around

tburke89

I wanted to make a nice supper for my fiance and myself last week, had very little food in the house but was feeling creative. Results were superb. Has anyone else just cooked random ingredients in random ways and had great results?

The recipe:

So, I wanted supper quick (-45 min) and had very little food in the house. It was time to get creative. The first thing I found was powdered mesquite marinade for steaks, but I had no steak. I whipped up the marinade using Chipotle EVOO instead of veg. oil and sealed 1.5lb of chicken in a freezer bag with it. I squeezed out the air and threw it in the fridge. I took some husks of corn and threw them in the broiler w/no foil so that they would char up. After 10 minutes I took them out, peeled a piece of the husk down and drizzled the inside with more chipotle EVOO, and covered the corn with the husk again. This time I wrapped the two husks in foil before putting them back in the broiler. About 15 minutes had passed so took all the marinated chicken in foil and put it in the broiler as well.

At this point I was peering through the cabinets and the fridge looking for anything else, and I found jarred sliced mushrooms, half a Spanish onion, and a box of mashed potatoes. While the corn and chicken finished I sauteed the onions and mushrooms and through in some garlic powder and black pepper. I made the mashed potatoes and added bacon bits, sour cream, and shredded cheese.

It came out AWESOME. Who woulda thought a non generic dinner could have come from the hodgepodge of random ingredients I had laying around.

• 3 weeks later...