RH for NC

Hollywood414

Hi guys, I have a quick question about relative humidity. Pardon if this particular question has been asked before and please feel free to post a link to the topic. Based on what I've read in these forums and on Cuban Cigar Website, 65% relative humidity is great for Cubans. No questions there. Is this a good humidity for non-Cubans as well? The NC will probably be smoked sooner as the CC are aging but I just wanted to know if it was safe to store them at the same humidity.

Personally, I think 65% is fine for any cigar regardless of country of origin, wrapper type, etc - I think 65% is pretty humid :)

It's been mentioned here in other discussions, and I think I agree to a point, that a lower humidity for Cuban cigars works better

in part because they tend to be rolled (generally speaking) on the tighter side. For me a lower humidity helps reduce the associated

draw issues, while also allowing for more defined flavor (I find overly humidified cigars to have somewhat muddled personalities).

In the end, it can be somewhat subjective - store and smoke at the humidity you prefer - but again, I would not be afraid to store

NCs at 65%

To simplify storage conditions, I keep to 65% RH for all my cigars, regardless of origin. I believe that is a well-balanced approach and staves off any OCD tendencies. Having said that, I came across this on the Boveda website and thought it interesting enough:

"Although 70% relative humidity is a good average for all cigars, studies show that certain cigars are best and reveal their peak taste and character when equilibrated and stored at a specific humidity level between 60% RH and 72% RH—as dictated by the characteristics of the cigar’s blend and primarily the cigar’s wrapper.

* Cuban cigars are best at 60-65% RH;

* Cigars with a Cameroon wrapper are best at 70-72%;

* Nicaragua, 68-70%;

* Cigars with a Dominican wrapper, such as the Fuente Fuente OpusX are best at 60-65%;

* Cigars with a Connecticut Shade wrapper will not be affected between 65-72% RH."

Seriously, I think that kind of granularity detracts from the enjoyment... Store and smoke at the RH you prefer.

• 1 month later...

I keep my Cuban cooler at 62% and my NC cooler at 65%. I find I get a lot of burn problems with CCs at 65%. Nothing catastrophic but it's noticeable.

One thing I have noticed is Conn shade cigars tend to smoke best around 70%. I don't smoke many of them so I just keep them in a tupperware with a boveda pack and call it a day.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2