Types of Wood for Smoking?

MoneyPit

I'm in the process of smoking a whole chicken with some cherry wood while killing the time with a few cigars and beers.

Just curious what other types of wood you guys enjoy using while smoking meats? What are some combinations that you've used with success? I've pretty much covered the basics but I found a place that sells some of the less common types of wood chunks for smoking.

Here in Texas wood of the mesquite tree is used as a 'smoking wood' usually for beef and gives a smokey, sometimes bitter flavour to enhance the food.

Hickory gives a similar flavour to the meat, but not quite as strong

Mesquite, Hickory, Pecan, Peach, Apple.

I like a mix of 60% mesquite and 40% pecan. The key to using mesquite the right way where it does not overpower and where it does not impart bitterness and resin, is a complicated symphony of time, oxygen control and temperature.

I like apple for chicken and pork. Although hickory and apple for baby backs. Ive tried many variations which leads to personal preference over time. Not crazy about mesquite or cherry.

I do a lot of grilling and smoking. I use a kettle, my open fire pit, and a kamado smoker/pizza oven the most. My favorite woods I've used in general order (and depending on food)

-hickory (the best, in my opinion, chunks lend a wonderful flavor, especially to pork)

-almond (burns hot and long, great for all meats I find, especially good for open fire-pit steaks, and smoking corn, my new obsession)

-oak (great for all-around for steaks, tri-tip, roasts, and chicken)

-mesquite (High quality mesquite lends a very versatile, distinctive flavor. Carne Asade, proscuitto wrapped shrimp)

-cherry (Light and slightly sweet smoke, excellent for fish)

-alder (Only had a few times, from northwest, but it was had a great cinnamon smell and characteristic. Made some memorable baby backs with it.

A very useful tip an old man told me was that uncooked meat takes on smoke much easier than cooked. He would let his roasts semi-smoke for an hour on the very side of his grill before starting to actually cook them. Made a perfect balance of flavor.

I use alder for smoking salmon and halibut. For beef, pork, and chicken I use a mixture of apple, cherry, hickory, and mesquite - 1 part mesquite, 1 part hickory, 2 parts cherry, and 3 parts apple. Sometimes I'll bump up the hickory content when doing ribs.

Cheers,

Greg

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.

• 4 weeks later...