Lauderdale End Table

ckile2012

Hello Everyone,

I have a Lauderdale End Table humidor that I purchased as an imperfect for $150 after shipping. When I recieved it the front door was missing. Well i called the company and they said that they would refund the money and I could just keep the humidor. Well now I want to build a door for it and was just wondering if anyone had input on what type of wood to use and if i should do glass or keep it wood with a spanish cedar on the inside. Also my next question is does it matter what type of cedar I use on the inside. I know spanish cedar is the norm but does it matter?

Thanks for your 2 cents,

Cody

Hello Everyone,

I have a Lauderdale End Table humidor that I purchased as an imperfect for $150 after shipping. When I recieved it the front door was missing. Well i called the company and they said that they would refund the money and I could just keep the humidor. Well now I want to build a door for it and was just wondering if anyone had input on what type of wood to use and if i should do glass or keep it wood with a spanish cedar on the inside. Also my next question is does it matter what type of cedar I use on the inside. I know spanish cedar is the norm but does it matter?

Thanks for your 2 cents,

Cody

Well, they did say it was imperfect! :P

You can use any type of wood on the outside (preferably matching the rest of the humi), as long as it isn't overly aromatic, and have a spanish cedar lining on the inside. A glass insert is nice to look at, but make sure you seal it in tightly, otherwise it may affect the internal humidity. Same goes, when you install the door. You want a nice snug seal to keep in all the goodness.

It does matter what kind of cedar you use. Do a search on Spanish cedar and you will find lots of info. Spanish cedar is actually mahogany.

Thanks for the heads up I did a bunch of reading on it, I had no idea that it wasn't related to cedar. I think I will get the spanish cedar veneer and put it on the inside of the door.

Well, they did say it was imperfect! :P

You can use any type of wood on the outside (preferably matching the rest of the humi), as long as it isn't overly aromatic, and have a spanish cedar lining on the inside. A glass insert is nice to look at, but make sure you seal it in tightly, otherwise it may affect the internal humidity. Same goes, when you install the door. You want a nice snug seal to keep in all the goodness.

I did a little reading and the end table has a maple veneer on it. I have some maple and think I will try to use that for the frame of the door and maybe I will try to get 1/4 in thin pice to go in the middle of the door and then try to find some closely matching stain. You are right they did say imperfect. Looking at all the parts I think I have an extra shelf so I guess someone was saying "Hey Bob were all out of doors what do you want to do? Well just throw in an extra shelf and everything will be good" lol