Rising Temperatures

CigarB

Hi All - With the temperatures starting to rise I was thinking about moving my humidor to the basement. However, in the past when I put another humidor in the basement I got massive mold (using Xikar gel). Since that time I've switched to beads, will the beads be able to regulate the humidity enough to prevent the mold? Thanks for the advice!

i've stored my desktop humidor in the basement for years and never had a mold problem. I use a standard humidification device it in. I also store my coolidor in the basement using 65% beads, again, never a had a mold problem.

How humid is your basement itself?

I migrate my cigars down to the basement this time of year as well. They actually move to the 2nd floor during the winter, 1st floor spring and fall, basement summer.

Once in the basement, I need to remove about 1/2 of the humidification devices that I had when the cigars were on the 1st or 2nd floor. My basement is about 55-60% RH. Upstairs about 45%.

After checking the basement, current rh is actually pretty low, 54%. It has been quite dry so far this spring, I'm guessing it could increase. However, I was really surprised since the last time I saw a lot of mold only after a few days. I have 65% beads so it sounds like the consensus is I'll be safe in the basement.