Charleston, SC cigar bar article

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2012/feb/20/will-city-snuff-out-its-only-cigar-bar/

This is an interesting on article from my local paper on one of my favorite little bars. It's the only bar in Charleston, SC where you can have a cigar and drink liquor. It was grandfathered in under the new no-smoking ordinance a few years ago but is now in danger of closing down b/c their lease is not being renewed. The provisions of the ordinance allow it to exist so long as it doesn't expand or move locations. They are going to have to move now and are lobbying council for approval to extend the grandfather clause to their new location. I fear they will have very little luck with that! It certainly has allowed them to operate as a monopoly. Sadly, the assholes who make the decisions created that monopoly by prohibiting others like it to operate! It's a charming little place and the city is a better place b/c it exists. Not to mention that it would destroy a dozen or so jobs.

yea, that sounds about right considering I will be moving to Charleston in a few months... Thanks for sharing and its really a shame if they arent grandfathered in due to the lease ending.

What a shame, the land lord is also being a bit of a ass not renewing the lease. Wouldn't he/she stand to make a lot of money on a thriving business?

Wouldn't he/she stand to make a lot of money on a thriving business?

I was thinking the same, though perhaps the new lease price is prohibitively more? Even still though wouldnt it be comparably expensive down the street?

What a shame, the land lord is also being a bit of a ass not renewing the lease. Wouldn't he/she stand to make a lot of money on a thriving business?

Sadly, the identity of this particular city has drastically changed over the years and the rent that this building and others in the area are capable of commanding would easily squeeze out a business like this one. I would imagine that the landlord has a tenant on the hook already for MUCH more than the current tenant would or could ever dream of paying.

I was thinking the same, though perhaps the new lease price is prohibitively more? Even still though wouldnt it be comparably expensive down the street?

Currently, It's in the heart of the tourist district (Meeting st. near Market). Lots of big money tenants. Hotels, Restaurants, retail that caters to tourists, well-heeled law firms, etc. For them to survive and still maintain the "Downtown Charleston" tag, they will likely try to head up King St. above Calhoun St. It's an area that was blighted but has seen a great deal of rejuvenation in recent years largely b/c rent below Calhoun squeezes most small businesses out.