Cigars in Washington State

Washington State just passed the most stringent smoking ban in the states. No smoking within 25 feet of any building, no exemptions for outside smoking or cigar bars. We have a cigar room in our country club and it is at risk of closing. Fortunately, we have a number of smoking attorneys in our club, so they are looking at ways around this. If that fails I may have to build my cigar rotunda that I have always talked about. The American Cancer Society spent 3-4 million to get this law passed, and I am saddened by how that money could have been spent more wisely. If they start to move into my home next - I will move to Cuba! What sort of bans are others seeing?

"Any building"?

Is your home considered a building?

Private clubs are most likely exempt but not the public establishments. Our good ole government serving us.:-(

This law governs any 'business', and cigar bars are NOT exempt. It is worded such that any employee should not be exposed to second hand smoke - even if they smoke themselves! We are going to try to get an exemption to where the waitress can leave the food and drinks outside the door and buzz us, but then there is the issue of whoever comes in to clean up, etc. Like I said, I think the idea of my cigar rotunda is sounding better every day.

Tom, the same law comes into effect here on 1 July 2006.

It is one of the reasons we moved to new premises with plenty of outdoor areas. We are lucky that we have a climate where you can comfortably be outdoors year round.

The Anti fun lobby snookered cigar bars by stating that it was an employee health issue. Even seperating the bar from the employees did not help. You can still moke outdoors but no entertainment is permitted to be provided.

The smoking rotunda is a great investment.

» Tom, the same law comes into effect here on 1 July 2006.

The same law (not in ANY business) is on the books here in the central counties of Maryland as well… but it hasn’t stopped the local cigar store [NOT that I go in there any more, much] from allowing patrons to light up on their leather divans. I think they plan to force someone to push the law civilly before they cave.

Regardless, outdoors in Brissy sounds mighty nice about now!