FORMULA 1 - 2012

Hi Mike.

Well I myself am no expert but a fan and I think the most seasoned people in F1 can never quite accurately guess what the order of affairs, the winners and losers will be in F1 because we have seen so much change in the sport over the years and the changes are not always for the better.

Looking at the teams and how well they have faired in testing, I would say the following will do well.

- RBR will undoubtedly be one of the top players in the field along with Jensen Button in the McLaren. (I have ruled out Hamilton only because of his immature form and attitude the past couple seasons which has effected his racecraft BUT in saying this, if his new management team can help him focus, Hamilton will be a top challenger because the guy has great talent) Vettel and Webber will put up a great show, I hope Webber can return to his 2010 form!

- Watch out for the Lotus (Kimi) provided the car is reliable. Last season, Renault/Lotus was looking good and I believe this season they will be even better and will get some podiums) Kimi showed no evidence of being rusty.:thumbsup:

- Mercedes do have a few tricks up their sleeve and I too think they will do exceptionally well this season. The car looks super reliable, Schumacher has commented on the rubber as being alot better this season and we all know that was his major complaint last season especially the rear tyres which he had trouble managing so fingers crossed Mercedes can bag some P1's and podiums in general to tally up the points and be in the running in the championship. Hopefuly Mercedes inovation will prevail!:2thumbs: Will Schumacher extend his contract? As a fan I sure hope so but I think this will only happen if Mercedes provide a car that is able to challenge for race wins.

- Sauber (Koboyashi) and Force India will not only be midfielders BUT will also challenge for podium finishes, especially Force India who have been strong the past couple seasons. Force India will do VERY well.

- Ferrari may seem down at the moment, but I don't believe they will be out. Alonso has a way to bring out the most from what he's got so they may end up being midfielders to start with but come Europe, they'll be back.

- Do I need to say anything about HRT and Marusia??:thumbsdwn::rolleyes:

This season is unique in that we will have 6 world champions and a field of cars that are pretty well matched in certain aspects. I can't wait to see the amazing duels between the world champions as well as some younger talent like Hulkenberg, Di resta, Grosjean, Maldonado and Senna.

In agreement with your assesments here and I now am firmly of the opinion that Merc can grab a WIN in the first few outings possibly based on reliability alone. I really don't think Shumi will sign again for a long term contract so if the Macca does not impress this year I still can see Hammy in a Merc next year.I don't think Lotus are as fast as they seem but with Kimi wringing it's neck perhaps a victory right out of the gate at Austrailia.Ferrari will be back up front in three or four races and Massa will not finish the season with them. Anyway these predictions are for entertainment value alone and next weekend we will all know the TRUTH.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Button: Red Bull won't enjoy same advantage

button-vettel-01-vb-italy.jpg

Jenson Button is confident that Red Bull won't enjoy the same level of dominance it did in the season opener last year, this time round.

The McLaren driver is hopeful that he and teammate Lewis Hamilton will be able to challenge Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber after positive signs during pre-season testing.

"Sebastian is still the favourite because he is the double world champion, but I feel that the field will be bunched up a lot more now," Button told the Guardian. "Red Bull won't have the advantage they had out of the blocks last season," he added.

The 32-year-old is optimistic that the MP4-27 is performing how he and the team want.

"We've had a good winter in terms of reliability, apart from Saturday, and I feel we are making good progress with the car. There's nothing I'm afraid of with the balance of the car. It listens to changes, which is really important with a motor car, [and] I'm very happy with the direction we've taken with the car and with the package we have."

Meanwhile, Button isn't ruling out a challenge from Ferrari, despite their obvious struggles.

"I'm sure Ferrari can find their way out of a sticky situation if they're in a sticky situation," he added.

"I don't really know where they are in terms of pace. [but] we're all trying new things at the start of the year. One of us will get it right and I'm sure the others will follow suit in the end. They're obviously on the back foot, but I'm sure they'll catch up. They have the resources, they have the expertise and they really want and need a good season in 2012.

"Winter testing is a strange one. We had such a bad winter last year [but], then again, we got to the first race and [McLaren team-mate] Lewis [Hamilton] finished second, so we had a good result. We'd all like a challenge from Ferrari."

Alguersuari lands BBC radio commentary role

Jaime_Alguersuari_2010_TR5_01.jpg

Jaime Alguersuari has landed himself a new job in Formula 1 which will see him attend every grand prix, though not as a driver, but as a commentator.

The Spaniard was dumped by his Toro Rosso outfit last season along with teammate Sebastien Buemi. The latter signed a test role with Red Bull Racing, but Alguersuari remained cast aside despite his obvious talent behind the wheel.

The 21-year-old will join James Allen at the BBC's Radio 5 Live as co-commentator for all 20 rounds of the 2012 F1 season.

Jaime Alguersuari said: "It's great to be part of the BBC's F1 commentary team on Radio 5 live. It will be interesting to look at the action from a different angle and bring that excitement and insight to listeners.

"Given that I'm still only 21, this agreement permits me to return to F1. It promises to be another exciting season and I can't wait for it to start."

Alonso breaks silence to give encouragement

alonso-abu-dhabi-01.jpg

Fernando Alonso has broken Ferrari's imposed silence to give encouragement to the staff back at the factory, as the Italian outfit bids to improve before the first race.

The team banned its drivers talking to the media in Barcelona in a bid to avoid them being asked questions they didn't know the answers to.

Alonso though, took the time to offer some support after the teams technical director admitted podium finishes in the opening races were unlikely.

"Above all I want to thank you all [the staff] for the work you've done. These were some very intense months and weeks and I know that you're giving it your all, that you're working 24/7 on the track and here at the [factory] to provide me and Felipe with a strong car," he told the Ferrari website.

"The new single-seater has some characteristics, which are difficult to understand and maybe we're not where we want to be yet. But we've all lived through many Formula 1 seasons and we all know very well that until we're in Australia, we don't really know where we stand regarding to the others.

"There's lots of talk and many ideas, but nobody knows the truth. For example yesterday Red Bull, considered by many to be the front-runner, had only a few laps and the last time on the sheet: if something similar had happened to us, hell would have broken loose, but here nobody really noticed it.

"More than ever we have to give it our all to improve, from the one who's responsible for the rear-view mirror to the one who's responsible for the piston. We're united and we're giving it our all, because we all want the same."

The Spaniard highlighted Ferrari's test times in 2010 when the outfit weren't on the lead pace, but impressed at the season opener.

"I just want to remind you of an episode two years ago: at the last test in Barcelona we were fifth behind Red Bull, McLaren, Sauber and Force India and two weeks later we gained a one-two win in Bahrain. What counts is not to be first in the first race, but in November, at the end of the Championship…."

F1: Salo intrigued ahead of secret Ferrari test

s3_1.jpg

Mika Salo and the Finnish press are intrigued as the former F1 driver prepares to test a modern Ferrari later this month.

Newspapers Ilta and Turun Sanomat, and the broadcaster MTV3, report that the 45-year-old former Toyota driver has been drafted in to test a Ferrari at Suzuka.On the face of it, Salo's drive is simply a case of his old employer - the Finn replaced the injured Michael Schumacher in 1999 - inviting a former driver to the Ferrari Racing Days event at the Japanese grand prix venue.

But "I was very surprised when they called me," Salo admitted, "because I haven't been seriously involved in formula one for ten years.

"I tried to ask them if this is just a 'show run' drive, but they have given me no more information than that," he said.

"They have Giancarlo Fisichella, Marc Gene and Andrea Bertolini (as test drivers), so it's not exactly clear to me why they are not driving."

Salo's Suzuka run will take place on the weekend of the season opening Australian grand prix, reportedly at the wheel of a 2010 car -- the newest F1 car able to be driven within the sport's strict testing ban.

MTV3 analyst Erkki Mustakari speculated that, amid Ferrari's pre-season struggles with the uncompetitive new F2012 car, the team is deploying more than its full complement of test drivers in a panic bid to solve the problems.

"If it's an emergency then it may be time to try something very different," he said.

At the very least, Salo has sensed the importance of his new role, confirming he is "training like mad" to strengthen his neck and lose a few pounds.

"This is not any old thing, but a two-day test," he revealed.

MIKA: Now there's a name I haven't heard of for a few years!:2thumbs:

Eric Boullier says E20 can bring Red Bull and McLaren into Lotus's sights

1331030435.jpg

Lotus team boss Eric Boullier says his squad is now confident it can close in on pacesetters Red Bull and McLaren during the 2012 season after its impressive performances in testing.After a tough 2011 - its last year under the Renault banner - the renamed Enstone squad has appeared to make a massive step forward in winter testing, setting the pace on three out of four days at Catalunya last week with Kimi Raikkonen and Romain Grosjean.

Although Red Bull and McLaren remain favourites heading for Melbourne, when asked if he felt those teams were out of reach, Boullier told AUTOSPORT: "If I think this I should give up now.

"What is very encouraging is that even if we believe strongly that they are ahead of us, then the gap last year to this year has been reduced so it shows we can catch up. We obviously need to push more on this but we can close the gap, and it is up to us to do better this year and do even better for next year."

Boullier said that even allowing for the fact that testing times are notoriously deceptive, there was enough evidence that the Lotus E20 was a good car - despite a chassis problem meaning it missed the middle week of running.

"First of all this is testing, so even if everybody is watching the lap times of everybody, we have a long range of processes to go through and to test first of all reliability and temperature range, and different logging," said Boullier. "So it is only testing - qualifying will be in Melbourne and not before.

"The good thing is that the car was good from day one out of the box. The car itself has been very well designed and it is clearly a step up over the past years. That has allowed us to put a lot of miles behind us at Jerez, and then we had a little bit of a setback [at the second test], missing the four days, and [the final test] I think was not bad.

"We had to make some compromises on the testing because we were missing four days, so we had to combine eight days with four days, but all in all it was not bad."

Boullier added that Raikkonen and Grosjean were already feeling at one with the E20.

"Clearly the basis is very good," said the team boss. "The car is not easy, but the drivers like it – it makes them comfortable and confident in the car.

"The car is reacting well, matching the simulation figure. So far it is a good basis to start with."

JAMES ALLEN ON F1

Hi guys.

I thought this might interest you all as it is one of the sources I get my F1 information from and even better, this source, James Allen knows everything about whats going on in the paddock as well as knowing the 'who's who' in Formula 1.

James' website is a wealth of knowledge BUT I have just noticed, he has started a Formula 1 podcast which is free to download via iTunes and or listen direct from you PC, tablet etc!:perfect10:

The first podcast for JA.F1 is: Click on the link :thumbsup:

home_podcast.gif

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/03/the-ja-on-f1-podcast-episode-1/

Let me know what you think! This is great!!:2thumbs:

MONTEZEMOLO WANTS ANSWERS ON PROBLEMS WITH 2012 FERRARI:

Screen-shot-2012-03-07-at-05.40.14.png

Luca di Montezemolo, the president of Ferrari, has publicly entered the debate about the problems the new F2012 has been having in testing, increasing the pressure on the technical team hurrying to find the remedy.

Speaking in Geneva ahead of the launch of the new F12 Berlinetta, the most powerful road going Ferrari ever with 740 horsepower (similar to an F1 car) he said, "I spoke to Alonso and he said that that there are many positive features on the car, but it will take time to unlock their potential. It's a car still to be discovered and only in Melbourne will we know where we are.

"I hope that the predictions about us are wrong. And if they are true I will want to know why this has happened and how many seconds it's going to take to put it right."

Reading between the lines it's clear that Montezemolo does not have the patience should Ferrari start the season as some are predicting, well behind the Red Bull/McLaren battle and maybe behind Mercedes too.

Montezemolo's comments follow those of Technical director Pat Fry on the Ferrari website last weekend, "We are disappointed with the performance level seen at these tests and I think we have a lot of work ahead of us. We will have a few updates for Melbourne, basically aimed at readapting the car to the exhaust configuration we have chosen to run for at least the first four races of the season."

Ferrari's own overview of Fry's comments in the same posting on their website read, "His analysis of the twelve days of testing carried out these past two months between Jerez and Barcelona is lucid and not does not leave much room for illusion, although it does not abandon itself to self flagellation of the masochistic kind."

According to my colleague Giorgio Piola, the veteran Italian technical journalist writing in Gazzetta dello Sport today, Ferrari is working on a significant chassis modification involving the sidepods, which could require a new crash test under Article 16.1.2 of the 2012 FIA Technical Regulations. According to Piola there could be one or two other teams making similar moves, it is believed.

It's a race against time with the cars needing to fly out to Melbourne at the end of this week.

HORNER CONFIRMS "B-SPEC' RB8 WILL GO TO MELBOURNE:

a2.jpg

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner has confirmed that his team will run with the revised RB8 chassis rolled out for the final two days of the final test in Barcelona at next week's season-opening Australian Grand Prix.

In a dramatic piece of Formula 1 winter showmanship last Saturday morning at the Circuit de Catalunya, the world champions unveiled what effectively amounted to a 'B' chassis which had been flown in from the UK the previous night with the most obvious changes new front and rear wings, rear aerodynamics, new diffuser and a new exhaust layout.

With the exhaust layout, and therefore flow of gasses over the rear of the car, particularly different to that on the launch-spec RB8 it was therefore somewhat disappointing for the team that on the final day of the test Sebastian Vettel completed a measly 23 laps following a morning off and then a gearbox problem.

But speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live this morning, Horner said the revised car had been running well when on track which was just 93 laps in total and therefore the revisions would now be taken to the first race.

Asked about whether the 'new' car would be shipped to Melbourne, he said: "It's amazing how these things get construed. We introduced another car in Barcelona because it had an update package which was always the plan. All the major teams introduced quite a major update prior to the first race and you leave it late because you don't want the concepts to be copied by your competitors.

"Those upgrades seem to be working okay and they'll certainly be on the car in Australia in 10 days' time."

Interestingly, at the end of the interview, Horner also plumped for Jenson Button when asked for the driver he thought would pose the biggest threat to Vettel's attempts to win a hat-trick of world titles.

Asked for a driver aside from his own team's Mark Webber who he thought would push the German hardest, he replied: "Lewis is going to be pushing hard this year, it's an important year for him. Jenson Button had a great year last year. Fernando Alonso you can't rule out, he's a world class driver, and it will be interesting to see how Kimi Raikkonen fares on his return." But when pressed to give one name, he said: "Probably Jenson."

PIRELLI'S TYRE DEVELOPMENT PLANS BOOSTED BY NEW TEST CAR:

Pirelli_Tyres_Italy11_178-e1331125435841.jpg

Pirelli has made clear its desire to continue playing an active role in improving the Formula 1 spectacle through its tyres and today secured a more up-to-date car, in the shape of the 2010 Renault, with which to continue private testing through the course of this season.

The Italian manufacturer was credited with helping transform the quality of the racing last year through the advent of deliberately less durable tyres and in recent months has been pushing to get access to a more contemporary machine, having run a 2009 Toyota since being confirmed as the replacement supplier for Bridgestone mid-way through 2010.

With the Toyota TF109 now considered as having reached the end of its shelf life, Pirelli had been struggling to get agreement amongst the teams for what car it could use next. But a breakthrough has now been reached, with the firm announcing that the Renault R30 will now be used to conduct four or five tests at Barcelona, Jerez, Spa and Monza during the course of this year – with the first session test scheduled for sometime in May.

The R30 will be adapted to simulate the latest 2012 technical and aerodynamic regulations and all 12 teams will be invited to send one observer to each test, although no data surrounding the test programme will be supplied.

Malaysia_Sepang_Renault_Robert_Kubica_R30_01a.jpg

With a new car now finalised, Pirelli's next task is to appoint a designated test driver to carry out the track duties. Nick Heidfeld, Pedro de la Rosa and Lucas di Grassi have all completed tests for the company over the two season and with several experienced drivers currently on the sidelines, such as Jarno Trulli and Adrian Sutil, a number of candidates are likely to be in the running for the 2012 role.

Pirelli's motorsport director Paul Hembery said he hopes to make that appointment within the next month, adding that he was pleased to have finally gained access to a more modern piece of machinery.

He said: "It was clear from an early point that we needed a more modern solution for our test car, as while the Toyota TF109 has served us extremely well, it is now three years old. Technology as well as the regulations have moved on considerably since then, and the Toyota is no longer able to generate the same sort of forces that we need to simulate in order to meet the current requirements of Formula One. At the top of our agenda is the need to treat the teams entirely equally, which is why the test team will be run independently and all the teams will be able to send an observer to the tests. Our new test car will be running to current fuel regulations, with no refueling, so we will be able to simulate a full race distance and the change in balance with the car and tyres. The final piece of the jigsaw will be to recruit a test driver, and we hope to announce this within a month."

MIKA: I bet Jarno trulli get's the job as test driver...:thumbsup:

MARUSSIA HANDS FEMALE DRIVER DE VILLOTA 2012 TEST ROLE:

aaa.jpg

Marussia has paved the way for a female driver to compete in an official Formula 1 test at the end of the year by signing Spaniard Maria De Villota to a test driver role.

The 32-year-old is the daughter of former F1 driver Emilio de Villota, who made two grands prix starts in the late 1970s, and made her F1 test bow for Lotus Renault at Paul Ricard last year. She has also had race experience in Formula Palmer Audi and the football-themed Superleague.

Marussia team principal John Booth said: "We are pleased to welcome Maria to our test driver programme, which will enable her to be integrated into a Formula One team environment and gain a vast amount of experience that will be useful to her career progression. We will also provide Maria with the opportunity to sample F1 machinery later in the year, further adding to her racing credentials."

De Villota confirmed that test would come in the young driver sessions at the end season in Abu Dhabi, adding: "I am very happy to be joining the Marussia F1 Team test driver programme. This is a fantastic opportunity to work closely with a Formula One team and gain important experience to help me progress my career, including the chance to drive the new car later in the year at the Abu Dhabi test. I will be joining the team trackside so I'm looking forward to working alongside them at the first race next weekend and this can only help my future ambition to step up to Formula One racing."

villota-01.png

British IndyCar driver Katherine Legge had been the last woman to test an F1 car for Minardi in 2005, while several years ago there were rumours that the most high-profile female driver in America, Danica Patrick, could complete a test around the time of US F1's bid to make the grid.

The last female driver to participate in a grand prix weekend was Giovanna Amati for Brabham in 1992, when she failed to qualify at two grands prix, while the last woman to start a race was Lella Lombardi on 12 occasions in the 1970s.

Caterham making good progress

Vitaly-Petrov_2726919.jpg

Caterham newcomer Vitaly Petrov believes that the team have come on leaps and bounds during their pre-season campaign.

Having battled it out with HRT and Marussia (then Virgin Racing) last season, Caterham appear to have a significant edge on their two rivals who were not able to complete any laps in their 2012 challengers during pre-season testing.

Conversely, the CT01 has enjoyed a number of days out on track. A strong outing at the first test at Jerez was followed by a frustrating spell in Barcelona, but the Hingham outfit got back on the right track in the last pre-season test at the Circuit de Catalunya.

Petrov was only named as one of Caterham's drivers after the Jerez outing but asserts that the period between the second and third test has been incredibly productive for the team.

"I think the team has made a huge step forward from the first test to now - and the CT01 has shown good consistency, which is a valuable asset to build on," he told the official Formula One website.

"This makes me pretty optimistic for Melbourne - as does the fact that we have never been more than about 0.5 seconds off the fastest time."

Despite this strong showing, Petrov is not getting ahead of himself in predicting great things for the team.

"I think it's still too early to tell," he said.

"The team is being pretty cautious about what we want to do this year, so I think the main thing for me is to do the best I can and help them fight a couple of the teams in front."

Petrov nearly saw his Formula One career come to an end last year when Lotus (formerly Renualt) announced in December that his services were no longer required.

The Russian admits that as soon as he was axed he viewed Caterham as the next best option, with the "chance to grow" the most appealing aspect.

"Things at Renault were sometimes great and sometimes tricky, and even though they have a great past and a lot of history, Caterham is growing quickly and wants to make its own stories, so the chance to be part of that feels good," he said.

The 27-year-old has his sights set on remaining in the sport for some time now, if for no other reason so that he can turn out at a home GP in Russia in 2014.

"It is one of the biggest motivations for me - to make sure I'm on the grid in 2014," said the Vyborg native.

"It must be the same for any athlete in any sport. To be able to compete at home means everything to you and it's important to me that I'm there and in a car that I can really compete in."

F1: Kubica 'cannot pick up a glass to drink' - Alguersuari

s3_1.jpg

Jaime Alguersuari has revealed he has heard bad news about Robert Kubica's condition.

With official news about the injured Pole scarce, one of his friends said last week Kubica is close to returning to a normal life, raising hopes he might soon be back in formula one.But former Toro Rosso driver Alguersuari has heard something very different.

"I think Robert is and was a fantastic driver, fast and complete. I am sure that he could have been a world champion without a doubt," he said this week when he was revealed as a co-commentator for British radio in 2012.

"At the moment the latest information I have about him is not very good," the Spaniard admitted. "He can not drink using his hand -- I mean he cannot take a glass and drink, so it doesn't look too good."

Kubica, formerly with BMW and Renault, crashed during a minor Italian rally early last year, forcing a metal barrier through the car.

Alguersuari revealed that Kubica's co-driver, Jakub Gerber, initially saw such horrific injuries that he "thought he (Kubica) was dead".

More than a year on, "I think his injury is worse than expected," the 21-year-old continued.

"Of course I would like him to come back, because without a doubt he deserves to be in F1."

F1: De la Rosa admits HRT 'worst' team in F1

s3_1.jpg

Pedro de la Rosa insists he is not afraid to admit he will tackle next weekend's Australian grand prix at the wheel of the "worst" car.

"We will have a difficult year," said the veteran Spaniard, who is yet to actually drive HRT's newly-launched F112."It will also be interesting because the team is 80 per cent new," added the 41-year-old former Arrows, Jaguar and Sauber driver, who for years was McLaren's main test driver.

"We should not be afraid to admit that we are the worst, but we must have the ambition to not stay that way," he told Antena 3 television.

"Our goal is to finish races, stop being the last across the line and to grow, trying to close the gap to pole position."

The next stop, he said, is the Melbourne pitlane.

"The team is packing up everything and preparing a second chassis. Tomorrow night it is all put onto planes and sent to Australia.

"I leave on Monday," revealed de la Rosa.

MIKA: "The worst team" in F1 histroy IMO :innocent:

F1: Nurburgring's Kafitz emerges at Red Bull Ring

s3_1.jpg

Former Nurburgring chief Walter Kafitz has re-emerged at Austria's A1-Ring.

But he said the Spielberg circuit, now owned by the energy drink and officially called Red Bull Ring, is not set to revive the Austrian grand prix."I've been here only a few days, just absorbing all the information.

"Formula one is not currently a topic," he is quoted by Kleine Zeitung newspaper.

Kafitz would not comment on the shambles at the Nurburgring, where the operators of the German grand prix venue are being evicted, and former managers potentially charged with financial crimes. "What went before," he insisted, "went before."

F1: Senna confirms Williams deal for one year only

s2_12510.jpg

Bruno Senna has confirmed reports he has signed with Williams for a single season only.We reported recently that the former HRT and Renault driver, reportedly taking EUR 14 million in sponsorship to the famous Oxfordshire based team, is guaranteed the seat for 2012 only.

With countryman Felipe Massa's Ferrari contract also expiring this year, the situation raises the prospect that there will be no Brazilians in F1 in 2013.

s3_1.jpg

"All drivers, Brazilian or not, have great pressure to deliver results," Senna is quoted by Agencia Estado.

"Of course it is very important to have Brazilians in formula one, but we always do the best we can, regardless of the duration of the contract.

"I think this is the beginning of my career, as with a good job this year, we can extend the contract and, god willing, keep on getting better in the future," he added.

"Last year at this time all I could do was work on my fitness, but now I am driving the car, working with the engineers in the team and doing everything else that has made all the difference in this preseason.

"I have got to this stage of the championship with a preparation probably better than last year when I finished the race in Brazil," he added.

The 28-year-old said Williams' target for this season is to score points regularly, after a woeful 2011.

"All the teams have taken a leap forward; I think Force India, Toro Rosso and Sauber are strong," said the Brazilian.

"Lotus seems to be strong, Mercedes as well. Ferrari do not seem to have the performance, unless they are hiding their game.

"It seems like McLaren and Red Bull are a little in front of everyone.

"I think the big surprise has been Caterham, who seem to have a reasonable performance. So it'll be very interesting to see what will happen," added Senna.

FERRARI: THE TRUTH WILL BE REVEALED IN OZ:

PF1-Top-Fernando-Alonso-Ferrari_2730176.jpg

Luca di Montezemolo has downplayed concerns about Ferrari's early season form, insisting it is a long campaign with plenty of time to fight back.

Ferrari have been by far the most vocal - and negative - team in the wake of pre-season testing with both their technical director and lead driver admitting they could be in for a difficult start to the season.

Tech boss Pat Fry stated that he was "disappointed with the performance level seen at these tests" while Fernando Alonso said that the team is "not where we want to be yet."

Ferrari have been hard at work trying to rectify the problems with their F2012 which has been billed as a 'handful' and 'unpredictable.'

Behind the scenes, di Montezemolo met with team boss Stefano Domenicali and the team's top engineers in what was described as a 'long meeting' to discuss what Ferrari need to do to turn their fortunes around.

Luca-di-Montezemolo_2694234.jpg

And di Montezemolo is adamant that the team, which only claimed one race victory last season, has both the drive and the time to resolve any issues that may arise.

"I found a team that is very concentrated and determined," the Italian told Ferrari's website.

"I saw in Domenicali and our engineers a great desire to show what they're worth and to react to a winter programme that didn't live up to our targets.

"I must underline these are our words because we will only discover the truth about where we stand compared to the others after Saturday's qualifying session in Melbourne: today we can only make assumptions.

"No matter how it goes in Melbourne, I would like to remind everyone that this will be the longest Championship in the history of Formula 1 and we certainly won't be able to draw conclusions after just one race."

Petrov: I can help Caterham grow

2_2722420.jpg

Vitaly Petrov says it is his potential to grow that persuaded Caterham to chose him over Jarno Trulli for this year's Championship.Despite insisting several times that Trulli's place at the team was secure, Caterham announced last month that they had dropped the Italian in favour of Petrov.

And although many reckon the decision was based solely on Petrov's millions in Russian sponsorship and not his talent, the Russian naturally feels otherwise.

Asked by the official F1 website why Caterham 'chose you and not Jarno Trulli', Petrov said: "That's something you'd have to ask the team I think.

"I know that I have developed a lot over the last two years and my first podium last year was another big step for me.

"So I think the team knows they have someone who can grow with them and help them develop."

Pressed as to what he brings to the table to assist Caterham in their move up the grid, he said: "There are a few obvious things, like the fact I've used KERS last year and I have been with a bigger team.

"I know how they work and can help see areas where Caterham can grow."

Aussie GP gets extra capacity to meet demand

Canada_Fans_crowd_packed_full_stand_01.jpg

The organisers of the season opening Australian Grand Prix have announced that an additional grandstand will be constructed to meet the demand for tickets.The Moss Grandstand will be located between the pit lane exit and turn 1, adding an additional 844 seats.

Andrew Westacott, CEO of the Australian GP Corporation, says the demand for tickets has been overwhelming for this seasons race.

"Due to an overwhelming response, existing grandstands are almost at capacity and we are excited to announce that we will build another stand at Turn 1," he confirmed.

"With less than two weeks until the country’s premier international motorsport event kicks off, Australians are supporting the sport like never before."

The circuit currently has a capacity of around 80,000.

MIKA: This is what really ticks me off when it comes to the topic as to weather we should continue the Aussie GP: The Victorian Government is always complaining about the cost on tax payers to host the Melbourne GP vs economic profits and I am really sick and tired on hearing that Victoria is running at a loss to host the Formula 1!?:thinking:

Reading the above and also seeing it each year in person when I attend the GP (I'll be at the Moss Stand Row A), I can not understand how or why the Victorian government would seriously consider scrapping it after 2015 considering the immense amount of people attending the F1 each and every year. Additionally, the amount of tourism it generates which can only be great for businesses such as hotels, restaurants and the like!:teacher:

Now, a new grand stand is being extended, this can only be commended rather than looked down upon as a loss when so many businesses rely on the annual Grand Prix. As a fan of the sport, I'd love to see the GP remain here in Australia.

Red Bull Racing says not pushing the limits with its new exhaust configuration

1331209445.jpg

Red Bull Racing has dismissed talk that its new exhaust configuration is pushing the limits of Formula 1's technical regulations, despite suggestions from rival teams that the FIA may need to look at it.The reigning world champions revealed its latest aerodynamic package on the penultimate day of last week's Barcelona test - with the exhausts situated as far forward as possible so as to help energise airflow around the Coke-bottle area of the car.

The fact that there appear to be slots in the rear floor area of the RB8 has led rivals to suspect that Red Bull Racing could even be trying to direct exhaust flow into the diffuser area - something that the new regulations was supposed to have outlawed.

Some of Red Bull Racing's rivals have expressed interest in what Red Bull Racing is up to - and think the FIA's head of technical department Charlie Whiting should take a close look at the design.

But Red Bull Racing team principal Christian Horner says his team sees no issue with its design – which is similar to the concept also being used by Sauber and McLaren.

"We are happy that we comply with the regulations," Horner told AUTOSPORT. "Ultimately it is a matter for the scrutineers and the FIA, as they have more knowledge and sight. Teams only ever get to see photographs; the FIA gets to see the cars close up in reality."

Ferrari technical chief Pat Fry believes that teams may need further guidance on what they are and are not allowed to do in light of the Red Bull Racing design.

"It comes down to what re-ingested exhaust gas is really and that's a question for Charlie," said Fry, referring to a technical directive issued by Whiting earlier this year.

In that note to the teams, Whiting made it clear any exhaust designs that re-ingested or redirected exhaust flow for principally aerodynamic reasons would not be permitted.

Ferrari had to abandon an exhaust concept similar to Red Bull's prior to last week's Barcelona test, and Fry says its development push in this area would now depend on what Whiting allowed teams to do.

"I think it's the obvious direction to go in," he said about the Red Bull design. "We gave it a shot; we didn't quite get it right. The issues we had, we weren't going to solve for at least the first four races, so that's why we had to back up and change course.

"Ultimately I think it is the way to get the most downforce out of the current rules, obviously depending on Charlie's interpretation, so we are continuing to look in that area, as I'm sure is the whole pit lane."

Williams chief operations engineer Mark Gillan said in Barcelona that the Red Bull design was worth looking at, but he felt questions on whether it complied with the spirit of the regulations would be left to the FIA.

"With all these things, it is not for me to question the legality of a team," he explained. "That is down to the team and the FIA. I look at our car and obviously we watch what others are doing very carefully and if we deem there is performance to be had there, we will be looking at it ourselves. They have got an interesting solution and we have certainly looked at it."

"Obviously all teams go to the limit of where they perceive the regulations to be, provided they are getting performance benefit from it."

When asked whether he believed it complied with Whiting's technical directive, Gillan said: "It is re-ingestion of exhaust gases into the bodywork. When it goes external it is a bit more vague."

Michael Schumacher not getting carried away despite strong pre-season for Mercedes

1331202646.jpg

Michael Schumacher is not getting carried away with the positive winter testing programme his Mercedes team has enjoyed - and says the lessons of last year have made him more cautious ahead of the first race.

Twelve months ago, Schumacher and his Mercedes team believed they had a car capable of fighting at the front after topping the final pre-season test, only for its W02 to fall well short of those expectations.

This time around, Schumacher feels that Mercedes is in much better shape, but he says that he is keeping expectations more in check.

"The car is reliable which is already good," he told his official website. "The first impression was already quite positive. We were driving out of the box with the car and everything went well, so there is potential.

"We are heading into the season much better prepared than in the past two years, and we can fully concentrate onto the development of our car.

"The speed is promising. I hope we can show that in Melbourne. We were able to drive a lot during the tests and therefore learn a lot too, and we certainly have made a step forward. But I want to wait until after the first races to judge how big this step is and how much it is worth compared to our competitors."

Although some race simulation data over the tests has pointed to the possibility of the team being close to Red Bull Racing, Schumacher believes his rivals remain ahead of the opposition.

Speaking about his own chances of winning in Melbourne, Schumacher said: "Victory to me is unlikely, I see Red Bull in front. Behind them it will be tight, and you can be either hero or zero very quickly. It will come down a lot to the ability of how well you will be setting up your car to the respective track."

Asked about why he was playing down his prospects so much, Schumacher said: "Because we have experienced last year that you can be very wrong relying on the data coming out of the winter tests. And because we can see that the field will be very narrow this year.

"I do not have a clear picture yet. What we can say though is that the gap between several teams will not be as big as it was last year."

Schumacher also reiterated that he was in no rush to decide whether or not he would extend his contract with Mercedes, which runs out at the end of this season.

"That's just totally unimportant at the moment, I don't even think about it now," he said. "Now, it is all about focussing and concentrating on understanding our car, so that we will have a positive season. I will certainly not be nailed down now."

F1: 'F-duct fever' returns to F1 in 2012

s3_1.jpg

A new case of F-duct fever appears to have broken out in formula one.

The issue seemed dead at the end of 2010: the FIA banned the driver-activated systems that stalled the rear wing to boost top speed, replacing it with 'DRS'.

But towards the end of last year, Mercedes began testing an F-duct style innovation in the front-wing, which because it is entirely passive is legal.

The system is on the W03 car, and Germany's Auto Motor und Sport reports that McLaren's final Barcelona test specification of its 2012 car, the MP4-27, featured a similar system.

Now, there are rumours Mercedes, McLaren as well as Red Bull and Lotus have designed new F-duct style systems -- also for the rear wing.

Asked if this would explain Red Bull's mysterious letterbox-style slit on the stepped front nose, designer Adrian Newey answered: "I can't say anything."

"Some teams have some doubts about the legality of the supposed systems," journalist Michael Schmidt said. "We have heard that one has made an official request to the FIA about what is and is not allowed in this area."

Two DRS zones in Australia

Australia-Melbourne-Albert-Park-Pit-straight-_2718469.jpg

There will be two DRS zones at Albert Park next weekend for the Australian GP although the FIA have not confirmed where.

Last year's Australian GP was the first to make use of the DRS zones, with one positioned on the pit-straight.

In races later in the season, multiple DRS zones were utilised at some races and it appears that there will now also be an additional one in Melbourne.

"Historically overtaking has been difficult in Melbourne, but this time there will be two DRS zones," revealed Sabuer's head of track engineering Giampaolo Dall'Ara.