Caution when handling Cedar wood ...

Figaro

I was reading an article about Spanish Cedar. Something caught my attention, thought I'd bring it up since many handle the wood one way or the other:

"In addition, Spanish Cedar produces a very fine and extremely carcinogenic dust when it is cut and sanded, so great care must be taken when it is worked with."

source: http://tobacconistu.blogspot.com/2007/11/spanish-cedar-tu-content-preview.html

Absolutely. That's something that's been talked about with this wood before. For someone who works with it a lot (similar to those that work with batt insulation, or other toxic fibres/dusts/etc.), it's something to be aware of. Simple particulate masks go a long way to help with this.

I didn't know it was carcinogenic, but I did notice that it produces a lot of very fine dust when I made my own humidor last year. It was irritating to my nose and throat when I was breathing in, especially since I was working in a closed space (my garage because it was in winter). I had to open the garage door from time to time to change the air to be able to breathe comfortably. I did wear a mask when I was cutting it on the table saw, but the dust is so fine, it gets everywhere and you still breathe it in.

And you have to really wash your hands carefully before you do anything else after working with that wood: I cut or scrapped a couple fingers in the process and the first reaction is to "suck" on the wound...bad idea !!! Tastes very very bad...

But the garage did smell great for a few days afterwards...

You have to remember that most people believe spanish cedar is used in humidors and cigar boxes because of its aroma. This is simply just an added bonus.

Spanish cedar is used because of its natural insect repelling properties and ability to maintain humidity.