Set humibead on cigars...

mikeman

Okay, so I have a desktop humidor, and use humibeads. I ran out of room and ended putting my bag of humibeads on top of a thin cedar sheet... Long story short, the wetness seeped through the wood and onto about 5 of my Lusitanias :( Now after inspecting them, they don't seem to be too bad, part of them look oily, but is most likely just water spots. and the bands got some green gunk on them... maybe its what happens when the glue gets wet? These things should still be okay, minus being a bit ugly, right?

Ill try to post pictures tomorrow.

Definitely agree with Shlomo on separating them from the rest of your stash. I am also paranoid and quarantine suspect cigars whenever a problem arises just to be 100% certain that it will recover in the best environment possible.

I wouldn't worry about the Lusis...They may take awhile to dry out, but they should be fines despite the discoloration. The band IMHO is nothing to worry about either. I've had bands on RASS and ERDM begin to turn green as the cigars age. It only happens where the bands have that gold gilding though.

One thing I would be concerned about is the amount of distilled water you are using with your beads. If the beads are wet to the point where water seeps through the cedar they were resting on your beads are far too wet. Beads exude moisture to increase humidity, but they also absorb excess humidity. If your beads are saturated to the point where they are dampening or soaking the cedar they are sitting on, you have exposed them to too much water...to the point where they will not be able to absorb excess moisture if the rh in your humidor climbs.

Chenman's post sums it up perfectly.

Your beads should NOT be saturated to the point where there is run off. By being over saturated, you will have removed the abilty for them to absorb excessive RH in your humidor. They work by releasing / absorbing water vapour to maintain the environment.

• 3 months later...

Get a small spray bottle to add water to the beads. During the winter months, you might need to add water every week depending on how frequent you open your humidor and how good the seal is. If you don't want to spray them often, I use gardening crystals to add humidity during the winter months (basically those gel tubs). The gel/bead combo helps keep the RH up.

Spray the beads with a mist of water until (roughly) 70% of the beads are now clear. You can use a stocking or fine mesh bag, plastic tub, tupperware...just about anything to hold the beads. However, if you go the stocking/mesh route, DO NOT put them right on top of your cigars. Create a small space for the beads. Even if you separate the bag from the cigars with cedar.

• 2 weeks later...