Humidifying an end table humidor?

KarlJ

I just picked up the Montegue end table humidor from a BOTL. It looks pretty descent on the construction but I did add some weather strip to seal the doors and drawer. I also added two 4 inch cooling fans( one high one low) to help circulate the air. They run off a digital timer that cycles them on/off 7x's a day for 10 minutes each time.( I'll tweak that if necessary)

Now, I ordered 1 and a half pound's of heartfelt beads(70%). Think this will be adequate or should I start looking at an electronic humidifier? -Karl J.

Awe crap, 2lbs. eh? I gotta feeling I'll be ordering more than. I went w/the 70% because all the research I did suggested that for aging, 70% was the target. I'm hoping between the fans, the weather stripping and the beads I should have a pretty steady RH year round. This is my first cabinet so I guess it will be trial and error? I live in an area with hot and humid summers and dry cold winters. My home has a central humidifier that runs in the winter so hopefully maintaining RH isn't a battle. -Karll

I think most people shoot for 65/65 for aging Cubans. This gives you bit of cushion for the beetles. 70% Rh is getting to close for my comfort, could be one temp swing away from an infestation. JMO.....

I have an end table humidor ,in the summer i use just HF beads in the winter i place my Hydra electric in the humidor.This creates a passive-active system,if the beads get dried out the humidifier kicks on replenishes the beads.I also use 65 beads and set the hydra to come on when the RH hits 64.Good luck with your new humidor

• 4 weeks later...

Hey MrJ where did you pick up those 4 inch cooling fans? How did you hook them up to a digital timer? I was thinking of putting some external fans on my Hydra but with the "cooling" fans your talking about I can keep the temp where I want it while circulating air at the same time.

I bought the fans a RadioShack. They are 120v. So all I had to do was splice a cord with a plug on. That plugs into the bult in outlet. I have a digital timer that the outlet plugs into. It cycles the fans on/off 8 times a day for 5 min. Each time.

The fan is slightly loud, If I were to do it again I think I would go with a 12v and wire it to a transformer. It might be quieter? -Karl

I would get more beads and a cigar oasis Xl, cut out the foam and fill it 3/4 full with beads too. It will help keep a constant RH level but also circulate air good for you.

• 2 weeks later...