Bacardi and the Long Fight for Cuba: The Biography of a Cause

compitaveggie

I read this book about a year ago and thought it was a good read. This book is a history of the Bacardi family from the very beginning in Cuba and their involment in Cuba's freedom from Spain to it's support for Castro to it's fight against Castro and to where the family stands now and the fight against Havana Club. It mostly talks good about the Bacardis but it also mentions some very controversial tactics used to fight Castro and its heavy involvement in politics. I really liked this book.

It is on Amazon right now for $6.80 new in the US and eligible for free shipping

Jose

Thanks for the reference. It sounds like it could be quite interesting. On a similar topic, there are several interesting books on United Fruit's involvement in Guatemala. Those that argue the U.S. overthrew Arbenz because of United Fruit, I would tend to disagree with. However, the extent of the involvement of the company in Guatemala was extraordinary, so much so, that the U.S. Justice Department was investigating United Fruit for massive and criminal violations of the Sherman Antitrust Act during the same period that Arbenz was attempting to introduce capitalist reforms that, ironically, threatened the company in the same way as the Justice Department actions.

Best,

Pete

• 2 years later...

I read this book about a year ago and thought it was a good read. This book is a history of the Bacardi family from the very beginning in Cuba and their involment in Cuba's freedom from Spain to it's support for Castro to it's fight against Castro and to where the family stands now and the fight against Havana Club. It mostly talks good about the Bacardis but it also mentions some very controversial tactics used to fight Castro and its heavy involvement in politics. I really liked this book.

It is on Amazon right now for $6.80 new in the US and eligible for free shipping

Jose

I know I'm digging up an old post, but I was about to post about the book myself, and did a quick search. I just finished reading the Bacardi book, and loved it. I love history books, but one that combines rum, Cuba, Business, and American history into one book is right up my alley. I read it in anticipation of a trip to Cuba, but I think its a good read for anybody interested in Cuba or even just Cuban cigars and rum. Its the perfect book to read while having a smoke and a drink. I did just that with some HC7 and a Monte #2:

http://bonvivantva.com/?p=558

Link to the book:

http://www.amazon.com/Bacardi-Long-Fight-Cuba-Biography/dp/B001TK3XPO

Hope y'all like it.