The Essence Of Cuban Tobacco / Cuban Cigars

This may end up being a bit convoluted, so please bear with me.

This past weekend, I was able to do something I don't do all that often - I smoked a couple of cigars indoors at a cigar lounge not too far from me.

I smoked an '07 Hoyo Churchill and an '06 Bolivar Corona Extra - both were very good.

Earlier this year, I posted that when I smoke indoors, I feel cigars tend to lose some of their unique traits, becoming more similar to each other overall.

This past weekend's cigars were no different, which leads me to my main question:

How would you briefly describe what you feel to be the essence of Cuban tobacco / cigars?

For me it's an inherent smoothness that shows itself as a creamy texture and sense of richness.

This may end up being a bit convoluted, so please bear with me.

This past weekend, I was able to do something I don't do all that often - I smoked a couple of cigars indoors at a cigar lounge not too far from me.

I smoked an '07 Hoyo Churchill and an '06 Bolivar Corona Extra - both were very good.

Earlier this year, I posted that when I smoke indoors, I feel cigars tend to lose some of their unique traits, becoming more similar to each other overall.

This past weekend's cigars were no different, which leads me to my main question:

How would you briefly describe what you feel to be the essence of Cuban tobacco / cigars?

For me it's an inherent smoothness that shows itself as a creamy texture and sense of richness.

I think it is certainly a unique flavor that cannot be matched. There is a "coat" of flavor that remains in my mouth after I exhale. Some would call this aftertaste but it is something that I do not find in cigars from other countries. Over the past couple of months, I have tried various NCs when visiting my local cigar bar. I have not enjoyed a single one. There is certainly something missing with cigars from other countries. But then again, what the hell do I know.

I prefer smoking in my garage/office with the side door open, and the garage door cracked open at the bottom to allow a gentle cross breeze to flow through. I find that smoking indoors enhances the flavors of the cigar, because the wind isn't messing with the burn and blowing the smoke away immediately. On a calm evening with no wind, I'd of course prefer to smoke outdoors, but with the Trade Winds here in the islands, it's often too windy to have any kind of enjoyable experience outside.

I don't prefer to smoke indoors where there is no airflow. If I'm in my garage and both doors are closed, the smoke just stands and it ruins the experience. I prefer it to linger for a moment, and then be taken away on the gentle breeze without affecting the cigar or the aroma coming off of it. Now, my neighbors prefer if I wouldn't smoke at all :daydream:

So, to answer your question, the essence of a Cuban cigar is exactly what you have stated. The smoothness, depth, cream, rich chocolate, vanilla, and caramel, along with the Cuban twang, are what keeps me reaching for Cubans in my humidor. The only non cubans I have are a Casa Fuente Belicoso, a box of Padron Londres Maduro (best cheap non-Cuban Petit Corona), and a box of Padron 1926 No. 35s for when I'm in the mood for a quality NC smoke. Totally different characteristics than a Cuban, but the Padron 1926 no. 35s are great with coffee any time, and if allowed to mellow for a few months, are even better. Can't beat a Bolivar Corona Junior, though :wink2:

The essence, of a good Cuban cigar, to me is not only the thick viscosity of the smoke in my mouth, so rich and thick it's almost like molasses, but also the aroma at cold. To me, a good CC has a thick, smooth, richness to it that NC's just can't replicate. A poor CC, like NC's, are more "thin" and tinny.

While I don't have the taste buds to discern all the flavors that some smokers can pick out, I do enjoy the evolution from a smooth cedar start to a peppery spice finish. THAT'S what the essence of a Cuban cigar is all about to me.

Damn I want one now!

Je ne sais quoi l'appeler, ce gout Cuban, but boy, it's good. I'd rather smoke a farm cigar from Cuba than a Fuente or a NUB habano or just about any other non-Cuban. Some are good, but virtually none have the 'it factor' I crave from a good Cuban.

The essence of a Cuban cigar.

I am 99% of the time an outdoor smoker of cigars. A reflection of our climate here where almost every house has a verandah/deck/porch combined witht he fact you can sit outiside comforrtably 90% of the year. In effect every house is its own Divan.

Depth of flavour, flavour change, the fact that a Cuban cigar can run through a kaleidescope of change from black and white pepper, capsicum, paprica, honey, peanut, cocoa, citrus, cream and chocolate (both sweet and bitter). Quite remarkable and something unique in the world of cigars.

I'd have to agree with you, Colt. Glad you picked that out - to me, it's the same that Cubans just have this complexity yet smoothness and creamyness to them. A rich kaledioscope [sic?] of flavours, without being too overpowering and mundane on one aspect. It's a blend of harmony and melody, worked out to perfection.

But also, yeah, while I don't get very many chances to smoke indoors, I would also agree on the flavour aspect you mention. When I smoke outdoors (granted, not during a windstorm) I find the flavour profiles distinct and wonderful. But when I smoke indoors, there's almost just an inherent staleness to the air, where it all just becomes flavoured smoke. I guess it depends on how ventilated the place is that you smoke in, but it is noticeable I feel. Almost a stuffyness to the air, and it seems to dull/mute down what I feel/taste/detect in a cigar. I've often thought if it's something specific in the outdoor air that maybe makes Cuban cigars taste so good. Don't know - maybe pollen, or no VOC's like you can have indoors, higher and purer oxygen to the surrounding air, chlorophyl from the surrounding trees and grass, etc., etc. Who knows.

But I too feel that you just can't beat the sensory experience of a great Habano outside on a deck.

I love smoking indoors (damn what my wife says). It's that hazy draze of smoke that accumulates after time that makes it all quite dreamy for me. Aroma of the smoke is probably 30-40% of the flavour and enjoyment of a cigar for me, so to keep all that smoke from escaping is nice. of course, this doesn't mean i like smoking in a small closed room. I don't want to commit suicide on inhaling cigar smoke (yet lulz). But with the window open, a ceiling fan chugging away on slow, and me with a cigar -- blissful.

When i smoke outdoors (i do this quite a bit too), i notice that i taste the flavours much more than i otherwise would. I think its because i'm less distracted by the smoke (which gets dissipated away quickly), and thus the aroma from the smoke plays less into how the cigar tastes to me. Not to say that this is better or worse than smoking indoors, but when i'm doing my cigar reviews, i sometimes try to smoke one stick indoors and another outdoors before i write/shoot a video review. Then i get the full gamut of what this cigar has to offer, and it keeps me from getting confused about the flavours i'm describing.

I tend to prefer smoking outdoors as well, except for during the winter months. My findings are very similar to yours. Outdoors, the cigar is more flavorful, the atmosphere more calm, the cigar just tastes fresher. Indoors the taste is often muted. I attribute it to the stale smoke that remains in the air, even in a well ventilated lounge, and the fact that everyone is smoking something different. This interfers with the aroma of the cigar and thus the taste. Outdoors this is much less of a factor, even when others are smoking different cigars.

As far as taste...I find Cuban cigars to be smoother, the smoke more silky and less overpowering. Cuban cigars also have that special twang which is hard to describe, but it is something I don't find in cigars from other countries. For the most part, I also find Cuban cigars to be more aromatically pleasing, and not dominated by black pepper notes.

Unlike many here at FoH, I still smoke my fair share of NC cigars. While they are different from CCs, they still bring something unique of their own...however, there is truly a lot of crap out there.

Thanks for the insight, guys :)

I wasn't really thinking in terms of CC vs. NC or indoors vs. out (so much). I bring up the indoor aspect because while I personally feel smoking indoors

strips away some nuance, in doing so I think it reveals some common traits indicative of Cuban cigars (at least I think so)