3 Favorite Things

kycolonel

While not necessarily my three favorite things...all of these rank near the top. IMHO you just can't good sex, well except maybe for great sex. Then comes cigars...

A man from Kentucky with a bottle of Grand Marnier. LOL!

Give me a bottle of William Larue Weller, a Sir Winston, and a Buffalo Bills Super Bowl Ring.

That is my heaven. Sex is great but ultimately too expensive.....

Thanks, gents!

Haven't been able to touch bourbon since a mishap on my 18th birthday, lol.

dP

P1130186.jpg

Grand Marnier comes in 3 versions, standard, 100 [aged blends], and 150 [oldest blends, shown].

My favorite after dinner libation.

dP

Cool, thanks. The bottle interested me so much, that I decided to look it up. From Wikipedia....

Grand Marnier (French pronunciation: [ɡʁɑ̃ maʁnje]) is a liqueur created in 1880 by Alexandre Marnier-Lapostolle. It is made from a blend of true cognacs and distilled essence of bitter orange. Grand Marnier is 40% alcohol (80 proof). It is produced in several varieties, most of which can be consumed "neat" as a digestif and can be used in mixed drinks and desserts. In France this kind of use is the most popular especially with Crêpes Suzette and "crêpes au Grand Marnier".

And then, for the 150....

Cuvée Speciale Cent Cinquantenaire

Grand Marnier 150, technically called Cuvée Speciale Cent Cinquantenaire ("Special Sesquicentennial Edition"), was awarded a Gold Medal at the Salon des Arts Ménager in 1983 - Brussels, and is the finest type of Grand Marnier. Also Double Gold Medal at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition in 2007. It is made with up to 50-year-old cognacs sealed within hand-finished frosted glass bottles featuring hand-painted Art Nouveau decorations. At approximately $220 USD per bottle, it was previously marketed under the slogan "Hard to find, impossible to pronounce, and prohibitively expensive." [1]

[edit] Awards

“Best of the Best” Spirits in the Robb Report

5-star recommendation from F. Paul Pacult’s Kindred Spirits, the Spirit Journal Guide

“Best Liqueur” at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition 2001

Double Gold Medal at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition 2007

Very interesting.

• 3 months later...

Exquisite choice. I go for the same. Nothing beats the happy hour, which may very well translate into days if you enjoy it too much, with a cigar and a bottle of whatever in hand. I would like to add coffe though alcohol will still be the better choice. Maybe i could say Watkins perhaps. This has got to be a good life.

A man from Kentucky with a bottle of Grand Marnier. LOL!

Give me a bottle of William Larue Weller, a Sir Winston, and a Buffalo Bills Super Bowl Ring.

That is my heaven. Sex is great but ultimately too expensive.....

Love the William Larue Weller (I have a stock of all year's releases of this)

Are you familiar with all the other Buffalo Trace Antique Collection bottles -

George T. Stagg (The ABSOLUTE BOMB! as JS would say!),

Thomas H Handy Rye (best rye in the world in my opinion)

Sazerac (second best rye for me),

Eagle Rare 17yr (this is the one I've never bought actually; could be great, but for some reason it's the one I don't get every release of unlike the others)

I also really rate (and by every single release of) the Parker's heritage bourbons; the only ones that can rival the Stagg I reckon.

Love the William Larue Weller (I have a stock of all year's releases of this)

Are you familiar with all the other Buffalo Trace Antique Collection bottles -

George T. Stagg (The ABSOLUTE BOMB! as JS would say!),

Thomas H Handy Rye (best rye in the world in my opinion)

Sazerac (second best rye for me),

Eagle Rare 17yr (this is the one I've never bought actually; could be great, but for some reason it's the one I don't get every release of unlike the others)

I also really rate (and by every single release of) the Parker's heritage bourbons; the only ones that can rival the Stagg I reckon.

Yes. I am a bit of a spirits collector (well....drinker to be more precise). I like the George T. Stagg. I bought both the Stagg and Weller this year. I usually do not purchase the other three but they are available at my local bar for about 10 dollars a pour (yes....quite cheap).

Is there a shop in London that stocks these rare bourbons? I used to live in Highbury so I will know the location. I was only drinking scotch whisky while living in London.

My favorite bourbons that are currently produced are:

Pappy Van Winkle 15

Evan Williams Single Barrel

Four Roses Single Barrel

Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit

Old Weller Antique (for value)

feel free to shoot me a pm or continue the conversation on the straightbourbon forum.