Humidor seasoning

Cooolish

Hi all,

How often do you season your humidor?

Do you use distiller water or the humidification solution to wipe the cedar lining?

I read that you season it once but recently am not able to maintain my humidor humidity...

Your response is appreciated.

Regards.

You should only have to season it once. Use distilled water to wipe it down, use a just damp cloth. You might have a seal problem if doesn't hold a steady RH. So a search on the internet for companies that sell humidors their site should have info on seasoning them.

Yes, I agree that it could be the seal. But I also have found that wooden humidors can be affected by surrounding climate.

If there is room in your humidor, try adding a small container of distilled water to help bring up the humidity. (it sounds like

your humidity is low?)

I got a tip from the local tobacconist that states that I need to season my humidor on a monthly basis???

I should use the glycol solution and wipe it on the inside of the humidor??!!

Absolute BS!!!! Tell your local tobacconist that he doesn't know what the hell he's talking about!

If you are going to wipe down the inside of your humidor to do an initial season, it should only be done with a fresh, non-lint leaving / cheesecloth rag, and with distilled water only, not with PG solution. I really don't recommend wiping it down at all, but if it's an initial season, it does better open up the pores of the wood for seasoning, and it gets rid of any surface impurities and/or sawdust left over from the manufacturing process.

Then, put a warm bowl of water in there, and leave for a day or two. Also, with your humidification device and digital hygrometer in there.

Once the humidity is somewhat stable in the 65-70% RH range, take the bowl out, and then put all your cigars in there, and keep an eye on it daily for a few weeks, and note the RH progression. Depending on the size of the humidor, the quality of it's construction, how good it seals, etc., you may end up having a bad seal or a humidification device that's too small/crappy for the humidor you're using.

Once it's seasoned over a two or three day period, and then loaded up with your cigars, that's it - you should just have to top it up occasionally with distilled water. You only need to season it for the initial use - no monthly crap.

I would avoid wiping it down due to a warping risk. just put a dish of distilled water in there and let the humidor soak it up. It will be fine. Dont be too worried about humidity fluxuations since as the weather changes humidity goes up in down no matter how you try to keep it consistant. i used to worry about a few % changes in my cabinet. Honestly, it really doesn't affect the cigars that much. I can't tell the difference in the smokability of my cigars when the humidity is btwn 64%-68%