My Vinotemp 28 Set-Up

sblevit

Although I just got my new Daniel Marshall humi, I decided the time was right for a new project. So I bought a Vino 28 that I just modified, but not too dramatically. I don't know anything about electronics, but figured out this set up actually from a forum for pot smokers (no kidding!) and from seeing what others on this site and other cigar sites had done.

First, I ran an Enercell 12V 1500mA AC Adapter (basically a cell phone charger) that I got from Radio Shack through the drain hole in the Vino into the Vino (you need to cut the end of the charger wire off first or it will not fit through the drain hole). It was really easy to unscrew the tray and then run the wire into the Vino. Then I hooked up two Ultra Performance 120mm CPU fans to the adapter by stripping and splicing the wires from the adapter and fans together with crimp-on butt connectors (also from Radio Shack). Then I plugged the adapter into a Leviton LT112-10W digital timer that I programmed to turn on every 30 mins for 7 minutes (you can program this timer in virtually any way you want).

Then I cut a 1/2" square bass wood pole that I got from a local art store into 2" wood posts and fitted them to the CPU fans with 1 1/2" machine screws from a local hardware store. The idea was to prop up the fans off the bottom of the Vino in order to actually get some air flowing from under the fans. If the fans are too close to the Vino, you're not really going to get any air through them.

Then I added to the bottom of the Vino a 6" x 9" teakwood tray that I picked up at Bed Bath & Beyond and filled it with a pound of 65% Heartfelt humidity beads and sprayed the beads with distilled water (using a water spray bottle also from BB&:2thumbs: until the beads produced my desired range of humidity.

Now I'm just waiting for four cedar shelves from Chasidor which were shipped yesterday and should be here by the end of the week.

The Vino is holding a perfect 65% - 68% humidity and is set for a temp of 66F. Can't wait to stock it up with boxes after the shelves arrive.

Here's a few pics of my set up.

5038570044_1066a41d6c_b.jpg

5038570356_bbcc7c5fb4_b.jpg

5038570672_c945246143_b.jpg

PS: Here's the pot forum post where I got my initial ideas from: http://forum.grasscity.com/do-yourself/370...run-120v-c.html

What do you plan to do about the condensation? Are you going to seal that hole, and route the condensation back to the beads?

I'm not getting any condensation. There is only about a 4 - 7 degree F difference in temp between my house and inside the Vino. I honestly have not seen a drop inside the Vino since I stabilized the humidity (initially, I over-watered the beads and that caused some drops on the back of the Vino but then I dried them out, put them back in and sprayed them with a water spray bottle to more carefully bring up the humidity). The pound of beads seem to be doing a great job of regulating the humidity. I think the key is just to not over water the beads. Give them 5-6 squirts from the water bottle initially and then 2-3 squirts from the water bottle every day until the humidity is in excess of your desired humidity (for example, 70% with 65% beads). Then the beads will eventually (within a couple days) back off the humidity to their target level.

I don't plan on sealing up the hole and think that the wire through the hole likely provides a good enough seal as it winds through the hole and out the back of the Vino. I haven't touched the beads in a week and it's been rock steady at 67% on the bottom and 65% at the top.

Looking good brother! The cedar planks glued to the sides is a bit overkill, the boxes and the shelves will provide enough stabilization. I don't even have cedar shelves in mine, the boxes act like little RH ecosystems for the cigars inside. It's only an 18 bottle though, one of these days I'll upgrade to a 28 if I find the right deal.

Thanks for the update!

Nice and tidy setup. Congrats.

I have a vino 28, no cedar, no shelves and have about 21 boxes in it. Could probably fit 2 or 3 more.

Of course it's always a game of tetris when I need to get into some of those boxes, but I just love looking at my smokes.

Looking good brother! The cedar planks glued to the sides is a bit overkill, the boxes and the shelves will provide enough stabilization. I don't even have cedar shelves in mine, the boxes act like little RH ecosystems for the cigars inside. It's only an 18 bottle though, one of these days I'll upgrade to a 28 if I find the right deal.

Thanks for the update!

Yes, now that I have the shelves and boxes in I did the wet sponge soaked in distilled water on a plate overnight method of seasoning and it's holding a perfect 65%. But I am still thinking about doing some cedar on the back wall. Cedar on the sides would take up too much space. But I love the smell of cedar.

Yes, now that I have the shelves and boxes in I did the wet sponge soaked in distilled water on a plate overnight method of seasoning and it's holding a perfect 65%. But I am still thinking about doing some cedar on the back wall. Cedar on the sides would take up too much space. But I love the smell of cedar.

I'd put nothing on the back wall. That's where condensation tends to form. If you line the back wall I'd suspect you'd be setting yourself up for mold if the power ever gave out or the temperature rose too much.

I'd put nothing on the back wall. That's where condensation tends to form. If you line the back wall I'd suspect you'd be setting yourself up for mold if the power ever gave out or the temperature rose too much.

Yeah, the thought was to leave the fan and drain area uncovered to avoid that problem. But with the shelves and boxes in, it seems really stable at 65-66% right now. So perhaps why bother. . .

Sounds like you need more beads!

I think that's probably right. After I added my shelves and boxes I needed to add another pound of beads to get back up to 65%. I now have two pounds in the Vino and that seems perfect. Now I just have to stop opening the door all the time to smell the cedar.