Tube cedar and your humidor

armenikum

Hey guys,

I'm a newbie here and to cigars, and tried looking for this topic in the humidor section before posting this.

Is it good/bad/pointless to take the cedar that comes with some tubed cigars, break it into pieces and distribute it throughout your humidor. Will it change taste, affect ageing in any way?

Cheers.

It's not bad, but it won't mean an overly huge difference. The cedar that's in the tubes is a very thin veneer - it is definitely there to protect and maybe help the flavour a bit of your cigars in tubes. But, it's only really for one cigar.

Granted, a bit of cedar is better than none. Hopefully, your humidor is cedar as it is. If so, that should be good enough. If you want to add any more, I'd maybe just put some of the thicker cedar sheets (the sheets that act as a layer divider in cigar boxes), between the layers of cigars that you have sitting in your humidor. And/or this is also a good idea for those that have humidors that are made from coolers or other plastic materials.

The cedar doesn't affect aging in any way. It just naturally repells pests (tobacco beetles), works with the RH beneficially, and imparts an additional nice flavour layer to your cigars.

It's not bad, but it won't mean an overly huge difference. The cedar that's in the tubes is a very thin veneer - it is definitely there to protect and maybe help the flavour a bit of your cigars in tubes. But, it's only really for one cigar.

Granted, a bit of cedar is better than none. Hopefully, your humidor is cedar as it is. If so, that should be good enough. If you want to add any more, I'd maybe just put some of the thicker cedar sheets (the sheets that act as a layer divider in cigar boxes), between the layers of cigars that you have sitting in your humidor. And/or this is also a good idea for those that have humidors that are made from coolers or other plastic materials.

The cedar doesn't affect aging in any way. It just naturally repells pests (tobacco beetles), works with the RH beneficially, and imparts an additional nice flavour layer to your cigars.

Thanks for that quick and informative reply Canuck!

it wont hurt, but it´s kind of pointless I think.

Some people brake them and use them to light cigars...

That's always a nice option.

That's actually the best way to light your cigar if you don't have a good butane lighter (not a fluid based one, like a Zippo or Bic, which could impart the flavour of the burnt fluid/chemicals into your cigar). Light the cedar strip, and then use that to light your cigar with the nice soft flame.

As others have said, I don't think it will really make any difference.

I tend to leave it in the tubos anyway as I use these to transport my singles when I'm going out.

I've lit cigars from it before, but didn't really think it was worth all of the effort compared to my butane lighter.

Nick.