Bourbon question

Martindelmundo

hey guy's. got a quick questions for those you in the know. How would a HDM edicion limitada 2007 regalos stand up to a high proof Bourbon. I drink a lot of scotch wiskey and i'm trying to open up to bourbon. any advice is appreciated.

cheers

I drink a lot of bourbon but I have not had the HDM in question, so feel free to discount my input. I think any high proof bourbon is too strong for an HDM, in my opinion. I know there are different blends within all the marcas, but HDMs in general have tasted too mild and subtle to pair with a bourbon, to my palate.

Looking forward to seeing more knowledgable tastes chime in...

Agree with GS

I drink A LOT of bourbon [and work for a bourbon company too] and I'll say that higher proof bourbons will overpower the flavor profile and complexity of mild/medium cigar. I smoke a decent amount of HdM EE's and Ep1's, and if I pair with a whisky, a bourbon that has a decent amount of rye goes well - like Maker's, Woodford, Buffalo Trace.

It also depends how much you [if you do] cut your bourbon. I'm a big Booker's fan, I usually melt one ice cube, but have friends that use 1 part water to 1 part bourbon. At the end of the day it's all preference.

Nothing beats some Booker's and a PSD4

I concur with the sentimetns here that high proof bourbon tends to overpower cigars. Not just HdMs, but most CCs in my mind. If you are going to go the high proof route, you will definitely need to cut it with some water. To do otherwise would diminish the taste/flavors of the cigar.

I completely agree with all.

I find bourbon numbs the tastes. The only bourbon that I've found comes close is Makers Mark but that too I enjoyed over ice which slowly melted and watered down the bourbon.

I will take a good bourbon over Zacapa anytime. That is just my preference. Zacapa is way too sweet for me.

My favorites are Woodford, Bookers, and many of the Buffalo Trace offerings. Had some great Pappy Van Winkle recently.

Water or ice if above 45% ABV is recommended if you are smoking.

Honestly, with a Regalos I would probably go the coffee route. If bourbon, water or ice so the chocolate flavors are not over-powered.