Gifting a box of cigars

Hey All,

Would like an opinion from some of you. If I were to gift a box of cigars to someone who smokes them occasionally and, thus, wouldn't have some of the tools necessary (i.e. cigar cutter). Would it be bad to pre-cut all of the cigars in the box? If kept in a make-shift humidor, would they still be okay?

Your opinions please.

Thanks in advanced.

I would just go out and get them a cheap double bladed cutter. All cigar shops should sell them, and they're are usually really cheap.

For me a big part of the 'fun' of a cigar is going through the process of sitting, cutting, testing the draw and then lighting the cigar. It wouldn't really be wrong to cut them all, but if you're making the trouble to buy them a box then a little extra isn't such a stretch.

I would just go out and get them a cheap double bladed cutter. All cigar shops should sell them, and they're are usually really cheap.

For me a big part of the 'fun' of a cigar is going through the process of sitting, cutting, testing the draw and then lighting the cigar. It wouldn't really be wrong to cut them all, but if you're making the trouble to buy them a box then a little extra isn't such a stretch.

I agree, don't cut 'em - i'd be inclined to go for a nice 10 box of something like Partagas d4 and throw in a cutter and matches / butane lighter....bottle of rum...few glasses...

Thanks for the reply guys.

I guess my thinking was that he would turn also gift some for others, but I guess he could use the cutter I would give him to cut it for them.

Also, doesn't seem like cutting them anyways would hurt the cigars.

Thanks again!!!

Well the other part of this is whether the guy has a humidor. If not, those cigars won't be very good after a few days.

When I give people a few cigars I always put them in ziplocks and tell them to smoke them within two weeks. One inexpensive solution is to find a fairly air tight cigar box... I have several Fuente Opus X boxes that are incredibly air tight, I have given my sons cigars in these, along with a tube full of beads. The other solution is for them to use some kind of airtight plastic like an Igloo cooler, again with beads.

Nice of you to be generous with your friends!~

First off..I wish I had a friend like you. I'm the guy my friends come to, to get cigars! I'd go for a box of 10. Don't cut the cigars. Buy a cheap cutter. Fuente makes a large humi bag that he'll be able to store the cigars for awhile. Just buy the humi pack, put in the the bag and you're good to go. Happy hunting

First off..I wish I had a friend like you. I'm the guy my friends come to, to get cigars! I'd go for a box of 10. Don't cut the cigars. Buy a cheap cutter. Fuente makes a large humi bag that he'll be able to store the cigars for awhile. Just buy the humi pack, put in the the bag and you're good to go. Happy hunting

+1...I couldn't agree more. Box of 10, inexpensive guillotine & a Humidipak/Fuente Large (box size) Humidor Bag! Can't go wrong!

I can only concur with the general consensus. It's a bit of added expense, but if you're going to give an irregularly smoking friend a box of cigars,

consider putting it in an airtight tupper type container with a bead puck or tube, and throw in an inexpensive cutter, and maybe a lighter as well.

If nothing else, you are giving a friend a nice introduction :clap:

Well the other part of this is whether the guy has a humidor. If not, those cigars won't be very good after a few days.

When I give people a few cigars I always put them in ziplocks and tell them to smoke them within two weeks. One inexpensive solution is to find a fairly air tight cigar box... I have several Fuente Opus X boxes that are incredibly air tight, I have given my sons cigars in these, along with a tube full of beads. The other solution is for them to use some kind of airtight plastic like an Igloo cooler, again with beads.

Nice of you to be generous with your friends!~

Agreed.

If he doesn't have a humidor you could always buy a cheap 20 count desktop humidor on ebay and a puck-ifier for around $40. If you're buying a box of cubans I would imagine you're spending at least close to $200 so what's another $40 ;)