New humidor in progress

jsaunders9

Hi all,

Looking for input on the locker section (see pic) of my in-progress humidor. Trying to decide wether to build the locker section as completely isolated with individual humification units or with some sort of opening at the back to get humification from the main unit. In my mind the positive of isolation is that if, god forbid, some sort of mould, tobacco beetle, or locust infestation hits one locker, the others are far more likely to unaffected. The downside, there would be 4 more humification units to attend to although I would go with low maintenace beads in each.

Any thoughts or input is greatly appreciated.

post-6424-1270213314.jpg

The back looks like Eastern Red Cedar, am I correct? I would think that it would be too inefficient to spend time precisely coordinating the internal pieces to make a bug proof seal. Your better off sealing your individual boxes or groups of the marca in Ziplock bags.

The back looks like Eastern Red Cedar, am I correct? I would think that it would be too inefficient to spend time precisely coordinating the internal pieces to make a bug proof seal. Your better off sealing your individual boxes or groups of the marca in Ziplock bags.

Actually it's black cherry. The colour is a little lighter in person. Part of the log that the lumber came from had started to darken and spalt.

IMO cherry is beautiful with a clear finish...no stain...especailly black cherry..............love the looks of this....what are you going to do for spanish cedar...would be a shame to cover those beautiful back panels up....drawers and shelves with sp cedar? that piece in the middle...horizontal drawer...is that cherry? looks like red oak. I realize you are going for contrast thus the darker tint. How about curly, tiger or birdseye for that piece....would be stunning with black cherry....I compliment you on a great looking piece. Finished pics are a must.

IMO cherry is beautiful with a clear finish...no stain...especailly black cherry..............love the looks of this....what are you going to do for spanish cedar...would be a shame to cover those beautiful back panels up....drawers and shelves with sp cedar? that piece in the middle...horizontal drawer...is that cherry? looks like red oak. I realize you are going for contrast thus the darker tint. How about curly, tiger or birdseye for that piece....would be stunning with black cherry....I compliment you on a great looking piece. Finished pics are a must.

Ask and ye shall receive :shead:

Here are some more photos with doors roughly fitted to give an idea of the finished product. The door panels are spalted elm (quite rare in this area). The drawer is also shown with it's front attached, made of the same materials as the locker doors. The drawer carcass is solid sp cedar. The top door frames will have glass fitted in them. I haven't built the top of the cabinet yet, ran out of black cherry :( I've yet to decide on the lining for the upper display area. I'm leaning towards tongue and groove cedar. Sp cedar is getting more expensive and I'm buying rough cut boards, doing all the jointing, planing, resawing, etc myself. I'll post more as the work slowly continues.

post-6424-1270306590.jpg

post-6424-1270306611.jpg

post-6424-1270306631.jpg

post-6424-1270306646.jpg

post-6424-1270306660.jpg