Jose L. Piedra Cremas

jacksfull

I smoked another JLP Cremas yesterday and I was duly impressed for a cigar that cost under two bucks.

It had good flavor that intensified as it smoked down. Started out relatively light-medium-ish. Sweet and clean tasting. It retained the same flavor throughout, but became medium-full by the end. Really a decent C&C cigar.

With it's Tripa Corta (short filler) construction, some of them get a little mushy, though this particular one did not. The burn was excellent, as was the draw. I actually find fewer plugged TC's than LF's, though there is more risk of getting underfilled cigars.

The JLP Cremas is certainly not a complex cigar (though I'm not sure I always get the same read on flavor development that some folks do unless it hits me square in the face). It's interesting when I find a cigar that has development that's clearcut, but I don't require complexity to enjoy a smoke, and wouldn't expect it in the cheapie range anyway. One dimension is enough most of the time if it has good flavor, and this cigar does... most of the time.

I bought a 5 x 5 box of these because the price was right and because I was intrigued with having some no-guilt CC's on-hand... something decent tasting I could grab without giving a second thought to cost or whether I should be saving it for some special occasion. So far, I've smoked 11 of these. The first few were good and I felt already that I could declare "mission accomplished". The 4th or 5th was a bad one that almost put me off off these for a while. Once I got the nerve up to go back to the well I've since been rewarded with a pleasurable smoke time after time. This last one was, dare I say, excellent. Especially excellent for a cheap throw-away cigar... and I have to learn to do just that when I get a dud; throw it away and grab another.

Bottom line: A decent smoke for the price. It's not for everyone. True connoisseurs will be disappointed. But, if you like to smoke daily, putting these (and/or other C&C's) in your rotation helps allow room in the budget for some nicer cigars as well.

• Like 2

Excellent review!

You have really captured the nature of these cigars,

and the place they occupy in the universe of Habanos.

• Like 1

I gave one to a guy on Sunday who is a novice cigar smoker. He was happy as Hell to be receiving a Habano. He was having a hard time cutting with the Palio and lo and behold there was a long piece of string/twine he pulled out of it.

I was a little embarrassed but he thought nothing of it and smoked it happily. He kept looking at it with a satisfied look on his face. I was going to take photos but I did not want to make a big deal of it and possibly ruin his experience. I guess I shouldn't worry, I didn't roll it and I had a nice Hoyo des Dieux if he was put off by the twine.

You really captured this cigar ... and the short filler experience in general. The Crema is my favorite JLP. I think the thinner ring gauge helps prevent it getting too hot or acrid. I usually get a couple duds per box as well ... none with string, that I've noticed :) . It's a really enjoyable "you're smoking cuban tobacco" cigar. I gave 3 to guys from work. I had mentioned the new C&C forum to a friend who asked to try one. word spread. their first cuban. We smoked them on a lunch break and all were satisfied. (everyone else said we stunk!) These are at the low end of cheap and a simple pleasure to smoke.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to say, the next one of these I smoked after posting this review was a major DUD. Had to ditch it at the halfway point and wash my mouth out with soap... both from the taste and the string of expletives I directed toward the un-smoked remnant mocking me from the ashtray.

I guess it's a crap-shoot (no pun intended). So, let me revise my opinion to:

When these are good, they are quite nice. But, when they're bad, they're real stinkers!