Home made Barbeque sauce and grass fed beef short ribs

aavkk

I choose to eat real, unprocessed foods and without any sugar. If you take a look at store bought BBQ sauce you will quickly see that its all laden with crap. So I decided to create my very own and let me tell you this stuff is damn tasty and easy. I find making my own sauces very therapeutic and definitely has expanded my palette. This one is inspired by Jamaica more than anywhere else.

You'll need 2 medium size bowls, in one you add the wet ingredients

1. 1 small can of tomato paste

2. 4 tablespoons of melted butter (I use ghee to avoid dairy)

3. 1-3 drops of dave's insanity sauce

4. 4-5 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar

5. 3 teaspoons fish sauce (trust me this stuff adds depth)

6. 1 tablespoon of grainy mustard

7. 1 small scallion finely chopped

8. 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped

9. the juice of 1-2 large naval oranges

In a second bowl mix the dry ingredients

1. several dashes of cinnamon

2. several dashes of jamaican allspice

3. several dashes of paprika

4. a dash of nutmeg

5. a small dash of ground clove

Once the dry ingredients are mixed up add them to the bowl of wet ingredients and stir well.

This will make approximately 2 cups.

So I dont have access to a BBQ grill at the moment so what the hell will I be using this with? Tonight its slow cooker short ribs.

I used 1 cup to marinade 6 large grass fed short ribs over night in a large ziplock bag. This morning I took the ribs out of the bag and wiped as much sauce as possible off of them before searing. While you get your trusty cast iron pan screaming hot add grass fed tallow to the pan and sear each rib for a couple minutes on each side. Set aside. Now quarter an onion and add it to the hot pan for 20 seconds. scrape the pan and add the onion and drippings including tallow directly to the slow cooker. then add the ribs into the slow cooker on top of the onion. pour all but a bit of sauce to dunk ribs in over the top of the ribs- set on low and leave it alone for 7-9 hours. If your planning on drinking wine with the ribs add a swig to the slow cooker in the morning. I served these over some sauteed broccoli rabe cooked in bacon fat with simply crushed red pepper, salt and pepper.

I think these would be fantastic on the smoker and would be my first choice given the opportunity.

So if you make your own BBQ sauce let us all know what your recipe is and more importantly what your doing with it!

trust me guys the fish sauce just adds some saltiness and depth of flavor. One of those things that if you dont cook with it regularly it looks bad on paper.