A different kind of Temperature question

Guest rob

Guys,

I have looked through the message board and cant find any answers... so please forgive if this has been discussed.

I have a problem with my cigar storage temperature - it's to bloody low!

I live in an area where summers are stinking hot so I keep my cigars in fridgedoors ... but in winter its freezing outside (average inside storage temps are 11 C (52 F)).... I turn the fridge off in winter - but my basement is still at 11 C.

Are the low temperature detrimental to the cigar aging process???

I have an extensive collection of very expensive premiums and would hate to see them die an avoidable death.

I have googled the topic of low storage temp and found that a few opinions suggested that low temperatures will speed the cigar aging process up in a negative way - muting flavours being the most common opinion.

I am far more keen to hear the opinions of he experienced people here rather than some randomly googled ones.

So.... what do you guys reckon?

Lower the temp the slower the aging process and over time you should have a perfectly age cigar.Not drying out the tobacco and oils that make the flavor.

If you have high temps for a long period of time you will speed up the aging process the un natural way. And dry out the cigars oils in a short amount of time and would be wize to smoke them much sooner.

Again the Humidity should be for both temps around 62 to 68 but in the long term ageing the lower temp is better for aging.

My temps have been 66 and 66 humidity with no problems.

Very good temp for aging would be 60 to 68.

Bad would be 73 to 80+ for long term aging.

Also some say that humidity at 62 to 65 is the best with lower temps at 58 to 65 for long term aging.

Hope this helps you i am sure others will chime in..

Thanks for the reply Jimmy.

Yeah, I have no issue with high temps because my fridgedoors maintain a 65 F temp in Summer...

Its just that in Winter (now) even with the fridges turned off the storage temp is about 52 F (11 - 12 C) and I dont know if its killing (adversely effecting) the cigars longterm.

Long term cigar lover with a fine collection of vintage cigars is a mate of mine called Ken N.

He stores his at 14 C and has for as long as I can recall. I have smoked many of his stock and they are perfect.

I would have no problem at 11C. Ensure your humidity is right and rest easy.

» Long term cigar lover with a fine collection of vintage cigars is a mate of

» mine called Ken N.

»

» He stores his at 14 C and has for as long as I can recall. I have smoked

» many of his stock and they are perfect.

»

» I would have no problem at 11C. Ensure your humidity is right and rest

» easy.

Awesome.Thanks for that mate!

Last night was -2 outside - and the inside temp was 10.5 C.

Yes, F%$king freezing......... and I was worried about my smokes until I read your response this morning.

It essentially means that the temp will swing about 8 degrees over the course of 12 months - ~18 C in my fridgedoor in Summer to ~10 C in Winter.

The RH is locked at about 67% all year round.

Thanks guys.