Static vs. Non-Static Humidification Systems

I do not have direct experience with these types of units - by static / non-static, I'm assuming you mean

passive / active? My thing about the digital systems is that most, if not all, can only add moisture and not

remove moisture from an overly humid environment.

Adding fans and ventilation is one way around it, but now we're talking industrial - like humidor.

Beads (passive) can remove moisture to a point, but once saturated, can no longer remove excess moisture.

This is easy enough to deal with in all but the most humid conditions.

So for me, until I can have a small walk in, or a properly ventilated cabinet, I'm happy to stick

with a passive set up.

As for NCs, what NCs I do have stay at around 65% as well. Some people feel that certain wrappers

(cameroon for example) are better kept at a higher humidity, but I feel that RH stability is more of a key.

For sub 1000 cigars my preference is beads unless you have an chilling unit/mechanism.

Once you have a chilling / temp control unit it really needs an effective electronic humidification system. Beads still have their place in such a unit to "round out" the edges.

In a 1000 cigar or under home humidor I would be happy to Freeze my cigars and use beads alone.

I would be happy to keep all my cigars at 65% RH. I keep my Cubans and non cubans in the same humidor but seperated.

» In a 1000 cigar or under home humidor I would be happy to Freeze my cigars

Uh? Sorry Boss, what do you mean by "Freeze". Like put 'em in a freezer? Surely not.

Back to my wine cooler cabinet; the only way to maintain 65RH is for me to turn the cooler off which then runs at the ambient room temperature of 80'

The minute I turn the cooler on and even before the temperature starts to fall, the humidity drops rapidly. I am keeping it at 80/65 for the present and being vigilant in watcching for beetles.

I am tempted by "Le Veil" and extra fans but as has been said it is a one way system and I don't see that my cooler has a moisture problem as there is constant condensation on the back panel.

[link]http://www.ewesterninc.com/wholesale/subpage/digital_humidifier.htm[/link]

Mel39

» » In a 1000 cigar or under home humidor I would be happy to Freeze my

» cigars

»

» Uh? Sorry Boss, what do you mean by "Freeze". Like put 'em in a freezer?

» Surely not.

Surely yes :-) I have collectors from Brisbane to Japan who do not have an ability to control temperature. They commercially deep Freeze their cigars for up to a week to destroy any beetle larvae and then slowly bring the boxes back to the correct humidity. Doing this means that they only need worry about humidity and not really be overly concerned about temp.

Keep in mind Habanos s.a also now does this (freeze) as do several international Habanos distributors.

» » » In a 1000 cigar or under home humidor I would be happy to Freeze my

» » cigars

» »

» » Uh? Sorry Boss, what do you mean by "Freeze". Like put 'em in a

» freezer?

» » Surely not.

»

» Surely yes :-) I have collectors from Brisbane to Japan who do not have an

» ability to control temperature. They commercially deep Freeze their cigars

» for up to a week to destroy any beetle larvae and then slowly bring the

» boxes back to the correct humidity. Doing this means that they only need

» worry about humidity and not really be overly concerned about temp.

»

» Keep in mind Habanos s.a also now does this (freeze) as do several

» international Habanos distributors.

Aha! Got it then. Just store my stogies in my wine cooler turned off as it remains constant at 65rh with the temp at 80'

Nice one, at last.

Can even squeeze more room now for another box or two:-P

Mel39

» Aha! Got it then. Just store my stogies in my wine cooler turned off as it

» remains constant at 65rh with the temp at 80'

» Nice one, at last.

» Can even squeeze more room now for another box or two:-P

»

» Mel39

Mel, just remember to take into consideration the term "commercially deep freeze".

According to a study our friend Kjell pointed me to once, all lasioderma serricorne die within 1 hour at -5°C. http://homepage.mac.com/kjellfrick/cigar/Documents/41_87.pdf So much for commercially deep freezing. That said, he who can do more, can do less.

I'm not a fan of deep freezing cigars as it abruptly halts the fermentation process, but I suppose that it's a necessary evil. I know a lot of people who deep freeze every single cigar they buy, no matter how many times it has already been frozen by Habanos, the importer, etc. Personally, I think that this borders on paranoia, but each to their own.

» I have collectors from Brisbane to Japan who do not have an

» ability to control temperature.

You're kidding, right? A/C systems are available in these countries, at the cost of a few boxes of cigars.

» According to a study our friend Kjell pointed me to once, all lasioderma

» serricorne die within 1 hour at -5°C.

All eggs are killed after one hour at -5C?

» I'm not a fan of deep freezing cigars as it abruptly halts the

» fermentation process

I truly hope the tobacco in my cigars has been properly fermented before rolling.

(I assume you mean integration or homogenization?)

• 11 months later...

Good morning all!

I have a question for all of you in regards to your personal experience with a static vs. no-static (digital) humidification system. I'm referring to one for my humi that holds roughly 250-300 singles, and maybe 3-4 boxes on the bottom shelf. The seal is most adequate to boot.

As of now, I use the Cigar Oasis XL, and so far am pleased with it. But I've noticed some other digital systems on the market like the Le Veil, and the Hydra.

What are your experiences with the aforementioned products, and the static system?

Oh! Almost forgot to ask- in speaking with other smokers, some feel that the Habanos is best stored at a RH of 65%. However, my current office humi holds Cubans, as well as Dominicans and Nicaraguans...awwwwwe...we're all getting along! Of course these are on separate shelves. Thoughts? experiences?

Thanks all!

SCSimage4805.jpg