El Rey del Mundo - Choix Supreme BLP JUN 08

Bought a few singles of these from Czar to make up a tasting sampler for my club. Here are my live tasting notes from laptop on my deck (which I was meant to be using for work not reviews ;-)

Took this out for afternoon in the sun after weeks of bad weather and is surprising me with its body. Colorado claro wrapper with one long vein in it, perhaps a touch on the dry side. Starts out with light notes of cedar, honey, straw, definite leather, and a bit of a cabernet-style fruity twang on the aftertaste. Light medium body but with a kick of youthful exuberance and obligatory shades of ammonia (June 08). Zingy citrus flavours impress themselves first thing on the palate like a marlborough sauvignon blanc (white wine has never appealed to me as a cigar partner - except for with gloria cubana no1s - but i might give it a try with this one).

Flighty and dry textured smoke which rapidly turns creamy and more voluminous. Beany and hay flavours coming through now as well - the immediate complexity of flavour is intellectually stimulating. Ash won't stay on long but i'm not complaining. Time to get that wine... in the end found an old bottle of martini bianco - perfetto. Coming into the last third, the citrus zing is on the backburner and the bean and hay overtones , as well as some leather, have come to the foreground. A light note of vegetal bitterness, a la ligero, has appeared, alongside the odd touch of saltiness. A bit of green pepper has come in as the coup de grace.

Como una mujer celosa, this cigar has resisted my attempts to place my attention elsewhere - any of my attempts to get some work done have been thwarted. This was a feisty tango with an elegant young lady who took the lead, flitting from mood to mood with alarming alacrity and precision, leaving me gasping in her wake. Complexity and subtle yet clearly identifiable flavours have been the order of the day, all joined in a constantly evolving, well-balanced package - how is this possible in such a young cigar? The lightness of body has definitely aided in the appreciation of all this. To my surprise, the martini bianco wedded itself seamlessly to the Choix Supreme half way through, matching and complementing the flavour profile, and is the best drink match i've found in a while.

En guise de conclusion:

Effervescence de saveurs, legerete d'esprit - le Choix Supreme d'un aficionado ... ravi.