New Forum Format - Questions And Answers

refresh

To keep things reasonably tidy, please post your questions and problems about the new forum format in this thread. I'll do my best to explain what's happened and help you to find a solution.

Number of Posts and Joined Date

This has successfully transferred from the old forum to the new.

Finding your Posts

You can find your post history by clicking on your username in the left column, then selecting Find Member's Post from the drop-down menu. You can also use Search at the top of the page. Your Member Profile stores your most recent posts.

Uploading Images

There's a number of ways to upload images - upload into the post as a link from a third-party image host like PhotoBucket, use Browse and Upload below the post editor, or upload into the Gallery.

Attachments is the easiest option. When uploading into a post your image will automatically be scaled down if it's too large and would otherwise break the layout. Please limit the size of your images to 1024 pixels wide and 150kb in size.

Embedding Video

You can now embed video from YouTube directly into your posts. Just use the Insert Flash Video icon in the menu next to the smilies when creating or editing a post.

Signatures

Click My Controls in the light green toolbar. Look for Personal Profile > Edit Signature in the left column.

Click My Controls in the light green toolbar. Look for Personal Profile > Edit Avatar Settings in the left column.

Time Zone

Click My Controls in the light green toolbar. Look for Options > Board Settings in the left column.

Fast Reply

There's a Fast Reply option at the bottom of all threads. To permanently display it, head to My Controls > Options > Board Settings and select Yes to the question 'Open Fast Reply automatically when available?'

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I notice that everything is acting much slower like changing from Discussion forum to the review forum or even replying to a thread is slower than other forums or our last forum. I'm not sure why it is taking longer to come up or load if you will, but each screen is taking longer to come up.

I notice that everything is acting much slower like changing from Discussion forum to the review forum or even replying to a thread is slower than other forums or our last forum. I'm not sure why it is taking longer to come up or load if you will, but each screen is taking longer to come up.

There's a lot more code powering the forum, so the page size is likely 10x larger than the old one.

I don't know if this is possible programming-wise, but maybe could you lift the restriction of min. 4 letters to enter in the search box? At the moment there is for example no way I can specifically search for Partagas D4 reviews, because it doesn't allow "D4" as a search string. This would be also useful for searching for specific factory codes (POS, SVF) or vintages (usually abbreviated "05","07"etc.)

PS. Otherwise great job, mates!

I don't know if this is possible programming-wise, but maybe could you lift the restriction of min. 4 letters to enter in the search box? At the moment there is for example no way I can specifically search for Partagas D4 reviews, because it doesn't allow "D4" as a search string. This would be also useful for searching for specific factory codes (POS, SVF) or vintages (usually abbreviated "05","07"etc.)

I second this suggestion, it would help the search function greatly.

Overall this looks great. :blink:

Using IE7 here. When I click on Live Chat I get Error On Page.

Are there rollovers available on the smileys? I don't see an animated ROFL one so I will miss that one. Otherwise the number of additions is very nice.

:blink:

Live Chat fixed.

I'll upload the smilies from the old forum. If you find any others you'd like to see, send them my way. I'll add them to the mix as long as they're of a similar size (not those great big chunky ones). Both animated and static gifs will work.

[update] found the search setting. Min search characters set from 4 to 2.

Can I suggest a time clock be added to the RHS of main page showing Forum time as of Brisbane, Queensland. This would be especially useful on poker days. :blink:

There's a time setting in the footer of the page, it's currently set to the server time but i can adjust it for BrisVegas.

Alternately, we could add it to the right column, a scrap of javascript would do the job. Will discuss the best way to implement it with Rob.

[update] board time set to Cigar Czar local time. You can see it in the footer of the board. We'll likely go ahead and put something near the top of the sidebar so you know at a glance if Lisa and Rob are around.

Any way to get a "Quick Reply" box at the bottom of the threads (without having to click "Reply" to open a new page)

Err, nevermind that. Didn't notice "Fast Reply". Is there a way to always activate that at the end of every thread?

There's a setting for Quick Reply somewhere in the admin. I'll track it down and enable it if it isn't already.

[update] the setting is already enabled. Fast Reply should be available in all threads.

I noticed that we have had upward of 20 "Guests" on the forum and that or more signed in members reading the forum at different times. What options does a "Guest" have available to them vs a signed up member? I do not have an issue with guests reading the forum, but at some point, if they are simply going to read, then are they not considered "Takers" and not contributing. Is that fair to the members?

I guess that I feel that if you are going to be a part of something, you should at least join or sign up and participate. Even ifit is a limited participation, at least you are not a guest peeking from behind the curtain.

Just some random thoughts

I'm guessing it's a moderator-only option by default. I'll see if i can enable it for members.

[update]members can now edit their own topic titles and descriptions. You can also now delete your own posts, but not topics.

Thanks Jason. Another observation - I recently started a Hoyo de Monterrey thread. Though I typed a lowercase D for de,

it posted as capital D.

Also, I typed capital R for recent, which posted as lowercase. Neither can be edited. This is unimportant, and just an observation.

I'll just assume this glitch is part of the code written by SmokinAl.

I guess that I feel that if you are going to be a part of something, you should at least join or sign up and participate. Even ifit is a limited participation, at least you are not a guest peeking from behind the curtain.

Tampa, just for the sake of conversation, and for what it's worth, I've always done most of my reading here while not

logged in. I also think it's a nice idea that someone considering joining can do some reading and see if this is the kind

of place for them, before they commit to registering.

I do understand your point about people who might come by just looking for info and pictures, who might have no

intention of participating. But they could register and do the same.

I'm guessing it's a moderator-only option by default. I'll see if i can enable it for members.

[update]members can now edit their own topic titles and descriptions. You can also now delete your own posts, but not topics.

Go to My Controls (top right under scrolling photo). Once clicked you will see "edit avatar settings" in a box on left.