Hypothetical: Do you move?

Flight  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hypothetical :lookaround:

Flying long haul. 16 hrs. 

You always fly aisle seat regardless of class. 

Planes full. 

Family arrives and seats middle aisle.  Apparently, they couldn't all sit together.  Mother takes the window seat next to you. 

Mother asks you to swap so that she can be closer to her family. 

:thinking:

Seat mum and kid on the window aisle and dad and other kid in the middle row and you take the aisle seat in the middle. 

But yeah. Why not move. May Allah reward your kindness to a stranger. 

In Business or First I would love since I know I will be comfortable in any seat.  I actually do always try for an aisle seat.  

In coach, boy that’s a tough one.  If my trip away has been good yes, if not….maybe.

have had this a number of times. early days, i would do the right thing as i was told it was. but when a bunch of mates asked and i moved and the tossers then went sound asleep for the entire trip (when i saw this, i made sure i had to get in and out and passed them regularly), i said never again. 

had a stand up screaming row with some horror from qantas who came on and said i needed to move because a family wanted to sit together. this was in Business class coming back from NZ. i had booked my seat months before. they had turned up at the airport and expected people to shift to accommodate them - not for the first time i'd had this fight. we had a massive row and i made absolutely certain everyone within thirty yards knew exactly what i thought of qantas and of this old battle-axe stewardess. and of the family for pulling this crap. and they had to stand there and cop it because i was not moving, at least for as long as i could hold out. needless to say, i had to move (to another business class seat but the front row which is always more cramped). i bitched the entire trip (those are the trips you drink/eat nothing that isn't opened in front of you). you can imagine the atmosphere in the business class cabin for the entire trip. slightly fraught and unpleasant and i made sure it stayed that way. then i bitched at qantas when i got back and got an upgrade for my next international flight. 

what i get far more often, as i always try and arrange an exit row seat when in economy (99% of the time). because it has extra room, though now qantas make you pay, is people trying it on to get you to swap there. sods. the number of times i have had someone come up and ask if they could swap so they could sit next to their girlfriend, uncle, schoolfriend, person whom they have never met but saw in the airport. i always politely point out that i think that it would be nice if they could sit together but as i am in the infinitely better seat, why doesn't said girlfriend, uncle, schoolfriend etc etc move back and swap with someone in their row. i'm sure that such a person would love to come up to a better seat and then the tosser asking and his girlfriend, uncle etc could be together. 

do you know that in all the times i have suggested that, not once has anyone taken up the idea. and most even descend to an impolite response. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I literally had this situation develop in front of me last month. The man was due to sit in a window seat however. A couple and their two kids were in a row of three seats, the mom offered the gentleman an aisle seat on the other row so that their family could sit together. The gentleman was obviously annoyed and stated he wanted his window seat.......so he sat next to two kids and a dad for four hours just to have his window.....doesn't make sense to me. 

I am not giving up aisle seat for nothing except cash payment.  Sorry.  I'll get up for you to move every 5 minutes if need be, but that seat is mine!

• Like 1

Sorry- Not giving up an isle unless you want the plane to divert because some dudes having a panic attack from claustrophobia. Anything else I can do to help I will!

• Haha 1

Wait - am I the only one wanting the window?   Damned if they’re waking me up from my ambien induced time travel.  That and every damn person walking by seems to smash into my shoulders too, and the person in the next seat seems to need to use the bathroom every half hour as well.  I’m holing myself next to the walls and checking out until it’s almost time to land.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not giving it up.  I'm 6'3" and 225 lbs and as former athlete and still active I've had knee surgery, shoulder surgery and neck surgery.  The aisle gives me a little more room to shift when I get stiff.

Also, I'm a planner, so I have no sympathy for people who just go with the flow and then expect people to bail them out in situations that don't suit them due to their lack of planning.

• Like 2

I work on flights (business or cattle) and so every "please put your laptop away" due to turbulence or "whatever" requires easy access to the above storage. Aisle is chosen for this reason. Business class is rarely a problem. Cattle longhaul  is, in terms of access, an issue. 14 hours to Dubai it becomes challenging when they are sleeping and you want to work but don't want to wake the aisle passenger. I am generally happy go lucky on shorthaul. Longhaul, different story. 

9 hours ago, BettyHumpder said:

You can tell who’s tall and who’s not by their answers here! 

I'm 6'5, claustrophobic, and prefer the window.  I've learned to meditate my way through a flight.  Headphones on, lean towards the window, don't wake me 'til we get there. 

Aisle or window in economy makes zero difference to me, I'm not sitting there. My claustrophobia means I'm paying for the extra legroom by going first class or economy plus; so the aisle really isn't a big benefit to me.