The aging voodoo thread. Everything on ageing/vaccum sealing/shrink wrapping etal?

I use a small roll of pallet wrap stretch film to seal boxes. Works like a charm and it’s inexpensive.

image.jpeg.7e19ecd6762c256c4c536216fa71cab3.jpeg

• Like 3

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Do you have an ageing regimen? Yes.  In your experience, what are classic examples of cigars that require ageing and which ones don't? I think its taste/palate dependent. I dont like "rough edg

Do you vaccuum seal/shrink wrap your cigars?  If you do, what has been your experience? Have you witnessed better results on some cigars/marques than others?  How long have you been doing it for? Are

Do you have an ageing regimen?  Somewhat.  Boxes that I have multiples of get Saran wrapped and socked away.  They are opened in oldest first order. Unless I have a very old box that I want

On 2/5/2023 at 3:06 PM, jakebarnes said:

Does anyone have a good recommendation for vacuum sealing? Ideally economical?

Weston is the brand buy if you're in the States.  Which one depends on you needs.  I vacuum seal boneless jamon's and prosciutto's.  I bought one that do 18" wide vacuum bags.  A good vacuum sealer will be one of your most used and cherished kitchen items. Don't skimp and end up buying it twice...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2023 at 3:20 PM, Corylax18 said:

DON'T cheap out on bags. You can get really crappy "fakes" on amazon/Ebay/Etc. that have cheap, high VOC plastic, that has a much higher permeability than the good ones.

Can you recommend a brand, either here or via PM?

9 minutes ago, MrBirdman said:

Can you recommend a brand, either here or via PM?

7 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I've used these before and they work well. My parents insist on buying the Foodsaver branded bags and they work well, but they typically cost more than other "brands."

I feel like there are probably only a handful of factories on the planet making these and they just wholesale/repackage for the dozens of different brands. They need to be polyethylene. Foodsaver says they add nylon for durability, some manufacturers ad Polyamine to decrease the oxygen permeability, I'm not so sure about all that though. 

The manufacturer linked below goes with the standard Nylon/Poly blend, but 7 layers Deep!!  

My only firm recommendation is not to cheap out. There are more thin/crappy bags on the market than good ones. 

https://outofair.com/comparison-with-other-bags

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Corylax18 said:

I've used these before and they work well. My parents insist on buying the Foodsaver branded bags and they work well, but they typically cost more than other "brands."

I feel like there are probably only a handful of factories on the planet making these and they just wholesale/repackage for the dozens of different brands. They need to be polyethylene. Foodsaver says they add nylon for durability, some manufacturers ad Polyamine to decrease the oxygen permeability, I'm not so sure about all that though. 

The manufacturer linked below goes with the standard Nylon/Poly blend, but 7 layers Deep!!  

My only firm recommendation is not to cheap out. There are more thin/crappy bags on the market than good ones. 

Ok - gonna take the plunge on these. I already have two rolls but your advice is well put and I'd rather go with a brand that a member has tried and approved. Thank you Cory. 

1 hour ago, Corylax18 said:

Thank you for all the information!

1 hour ago, Corylax18 said:

Those are reasonably priced, thanks!

• 4 months later...
On 2/3/2023 at 12:37 PM, Monterey said:

Do you vaccuum seal/shrink wrap your cigars?  If you do, what has been your experience? Have you witnessed better results on some cigars/marques than others?  How long have you been doing it for? Are you a convert? 

Yes, and my goal is to become a subject expert on the subject.  I have 400 boxes vacuumed sealed up, and I have been doing that for 7 years.  I started out on some non-cubans that aged terribly.   After 3 years they were still amazing, without it, they would have been expired.  I have cigars that I took from the same box and split them up into 3 piles.  Regular age, vacuum aged, and vacuum in the freezer age (yes, they have been in the freezer now for 4 years).  Will give them 5 more years and then see how it pans out.  I stocked up in my many trips to Cuba back in that glory 2017 thru 2019 period. And my many many purchases here.  I'm set for life if this vacuum sealing pays off.  Some of them will have to hold up for 40 years in vacuum seal.

Every time I open a box of vacuumed cigars the smell is nearly orgasmic!  So far vacuum seal has been a big win for me.

Hi Monterey hope your well mate

just wondering if you vacuum seal with a Boveda pack or not,vacuum seal sounds a great idea 

13 hours ago, bummy said:

Hi Monterey hope your well mate

just wondering if you vacuum seal with a Boveda pack or not,vacuum seal sounds a great idea 

Without.  For this answer, see my second comment on page #2.  And yes, vacuum seal for the win.  I'm the guy in a lazy boy with a big bag of popcorn with 400 vacuum sealed boxes watching people pay 2-3 times what I paid telling me that vacuum sealing is dumb :)  (Just having some fun here!) 

At least I bought some nudies, not totally out of the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1