Top 12 all time retail stinkers.....Number 1 : Habanos Estuche X Festival 2008

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Top 12 all time retail stinkers Good mate Ravi once told me that all cigars sell eventually and if you hold onto them long enough.....regardless of how tough they were to move initially......they

Coincidentally, I was researching this very release yesterday. You see, one can actually sample a current version of this cigar, but only if you acquire the Combinaciones Seleccion Piramides box of si

....bless you my son 🙏

• El Presidente changed the title to Top 12 all time retail stinkers......Number 12

Not sure why I never bought a box of those; luck I guess. 

R&J in general beyond Cedros No.1 and Cazadores were about all that were reliable at that time.  I don't recall people saying stay away, but no one recommending the RJ Pyramid either.  I had plenty of good boxes between '01 and '03, but they were all bought and smoked in the same time frame.

• El Presidente changed the title to Top 12 all time retail stinkers......Number 11 : Cuaba Tradicionales/Exclusivos
4 hours ago, benfica_77 said:

I'm gonna make a guess and say Monte Open series is #1 lolll

From what I gather those actually move reasonably well, just not on FOH (though I do recall them selling out on 24:24 on the rare instances they’re posted.) 

21 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Number 11 

Cuaba Tradicionales and Generosos

who slept with who to keep these going? 

Make you wonder if these and the SP Non Plus are made from a leaf or a blend they have an excess of.

I'm a big of the RyJ Belicoso and hadn't done the mental math on the Seleccion boxes being a piramide.  Have two boxes hanging on the gift shelf - looks like I'll be getting a gift today 😀

• Like 2

• El Presidente changed the title to Top 12 all time retail stinkers......Number 10 : Vegueros....any
  • El Presidente pinned and unpinned this topic
1 hour ago, El Presidente said:

I have found them to age pretty well and some honey comes into the picture with a decade on them (original 1997 blends) but who wants to wait a decade?

This!

Never cared much for them until I got an aged Espy No. 1 as a freebie from a respected retailer. Needles to say I was a bit disappointed. Took me another year or two to set flame to it. And - bam - what a nice surprise! Stocked up with a few boxes of 1s and 2s before they were axed.

I see nothing of that in the new line. Not a “relaunch” for me, it’s a new line of cigars, a whole new brand that has plain nothing in common with its ancestor. At least not at the current state of affairs.

Such nice looking cigars, so little character!

EB0AC0FD-B930-44F2-BA16-4D33A71C2CDE.jpeg.f9534742407338b7816f7759aad4c9ea.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The old Vegueros line needed LOTS of down time to be smokable for my palate. My fave was the Seoane Panatela. Have some Centrofinos from original release. Smoked a few so far and they do keep getting better with age. Still the ceiling is probably no more than mid 80s pts wise. 

• Like 2

Vegueros is one cigar I cannot forget.  I had the No. 1 from the original release and can still taste the fresh cut lawn in my mind.  Could not get rid of that taste which seemed like forever...  Way too grassy tasting.  Such a shame as they're rolled really well.  Who at Habanos came up with that blend?

• Like 2

Never tried them myself, but they've become "go to's" for some friends due to the relatively low cost and their desire to avoid buying NC's during these lean, Habanos years.  With Cohiba, Trinidad and Montecristo pricing going skyward.  CC smokers are taking notice of the lower end offerings.  And there are some good ones in there. The Petite Quinteros are my new HUHC and they cost a lot less.  :)

4 hours ago, 99call said:

I'm a new convert to the Tapados...

I'd like to try some of the new Veguero re-launch.  They look amazing like the old ones and I bet they've toned down the grassiness.

Fonseca No. 1 is one of my favorite production cigars.  I don't get the negative impressions of them today.  I can understand 15 years ago, but they are a top cigar and unique flavor profile at that.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

but they are a top cigar and unique flavor profile at that.

Yep, I love them, great cigar, and a perfect change of pace. 

And I guess that was what I was thinking about the Vegueros, yes they are an acquired taste, but thats more of a comment of the smokers individual preference, as opposed to a qualitative comment on the cigar/blend. 

I think PL Picadores suffer for the same reason. People smoke them thinking they are going to get a caramel laden Ex4, and in reality the blend is nothing like that.  It's a fairly green, sweet pea puree, tea like experience

• Like 2

• El Presidente changed the title to Top 12 all time retail stinkers......Number 9 : Partagas Serie D Number 6
On 8/30/2022 at 5:14 PM, HawkI84 said:

I actually like the tradicionales...

Believe it or not I actually liked the Generosos. Smoked a ton around 1998-2000. 

3 hours ago, KCCubano said:

Yes put that blend in a double robusto 25 ct SLB! 

Would love the D6 blend in a D3 Gorditos or D2 Robustos No. 2. Have no idea why they haven't done a D3/D2/D1 yet. Long overdue. Would also love to see a P3 in Rodolfos or Piramides Extra. 

15 hours ago, 99call said:

I think PL Picadores suffer for the same reason. People smoke them thinking they are going to get a caramel laden Ex4, and in reality the blend is nothing like that.  It's a fairly green, sweet pea puree, tea like experience

100% agree. The Picadores is a very odd bird. No one could peg it as a PL if they didn't know. Tea, herbal, vegetal indeed. The Galanes is much more in line with the PC and MC than the Picadores. 

I am a fan of the Partagas Serie cigars.  They've had their ups and downs a little over the decades.  They've been on the up for this last decade.  That being said, I never once even considered buying Partagas Serie D Number 6s.  Like they never even existed.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I am a fan of the Partagas Serie cigars.  They've had their ups and downs a little over the decades.  They've been on the up for this last decade.  That being said, I never once even considered buying Partagas Serie D Number 6s.  Like they never even existed.

I ignored for longest time as well. Saw a box on sale pre covid and jumped on them. Great blend but unless I see another stellar deal it will be my last purchase of D6. 

• El Presidente changed the title to Top 12 all time retail stinkers.....Number 1 : Habanos Estuche X Festival 2008