Top 12 all time retail stinkers.....Number 1 : Habanos Estuche X Festival 2008

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Top 12 all time retail stinkers Good mate Ravi once told me that all cigars sell eventually and if you hold onto them long enough.....regardless of how tough they were to move initially......they

Coincidentally, I was researching this very release yesterday. You see, one can actually sample a current version of this cigar, but only if you acquire the Combinaciones Seleccion Piramides box of si

....bless you my son 🙏

On 9/2/2022 at 7:55 AM, BrightonCorgi said:

I am a fan of the Partagas Serie cigars.  They've had their ups and downs a little over the decades.  They've been on the up for this last decade.  That being said, I never once even considered buying Partagas Serie D Number 6s.  Like they never even existed.

You just summed me up.  P2s, D4s, etc I love all things Party.  When these are up I just skip right by

Number 8    "Tie"  

Cohiba Panetela and Montecristo Joyita. 

Gram for gram, Cohiba Panetela is more expensive than cocaine..........without the demand. ;)

These are the cigar worlds version of "concept cars". Pretty to look at but the public isn't going to drive them. 

These toothpicks are simply expensive and far too often of  questionable construction. 

Now at their best they are super tasty. Superb!  However you had better have deep pockets and lungs that can suck a golf ball through a garden hose. 

Retail duds maximus.....

Cohiba Panetela aged September 15 .jpg

Montecristo Joyita APR 19.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• El Presidente changed the title to Top 12 all time retail stinkers.....Number 8 "Tie" Cohiba Panetela and Montecristo Joyita.
35 minutes ago, Fugu said:

so the price of about a Monte 4 seems fair to me.

Right before prices on everything went crazy i got 2 boxes of joyitas for just under the price of one box of monte 4 at the time.

Edit:

actually I still see that deal floating around though updated to the current price of monte 4s

7 minutes ago, Bijan said:

Right before prices on everything went crazy i got 2 boxes of joyitas for just under the price of one box of monte 4 at the time.

Edit:

actually I still see that deal floating around though updated to the current price of monte 4s

So at least we are two, Bijan! Those are pieces of art. There’s only few initiated who are able to truly recognise and appreciate that. 😂😂😂

• Haha 2

• El Presidente changed the title to Top 12 all time retail stinkers.....Number 7 Hoyo De Monterrey Elegantes

The only LCDH release that really failed to take off. 

I don't mind the Tacos format but the cigar needs to have character. 

The HDM Elegantes does have some fans but in the main the cigar simply confuses most CC lovers with a largely "wishy washy" performance.   

The greatest thing that has happened to this cigar was Covid and supply shortages ;)

Hoyo De Monterrey Elegantes CL APR 18.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

"wishy washy"

Great description of this cigar.  Whilst a cigar like the Partagas Presidente makes a success out of being muddled. i.e. the smoking experience is all over the shop, but every aspect is flavourful and interesting.   The Elegantes seems the be 50 shades of uninteresting.    I think the Hoyo blend needs poise, control, and Tacos format is just not conducive to that outcome 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, El Presidente said:

The only LCDH release that really failed to take off. 

I don't mind the Tacos format but the cigar needs to have character. 

The HDM Elegantes does have some fans but in the main the cigar simply confuses most CC lovers with a largely "wishy washy" performance.   

The greatest thing that has happened to this cigar was Covid and supply shortages ;)

Hoyo De Monterrey Elegantes CL APR 18.jpg

100%

Burn issues. Construction. And what color is this paper I’m smoking flavor. 

• El Presidente changed the title to Top 12 all time retail stinkers.....Number 6: H. Upmann Magnum 48 LE 2009

Number 6

H. Upmann Magnum 48 LE 2009 

The longest LE sitter of all time. 

Now don't get this wrong, the Upmann Magnum 48 LE has a lot of fans.....today. ;)

However in terms of making those cash registers ring.....the Magnum 48 was a dog. They hung around for just over four years in big numbers. In terms of standard LE's, It shares that title with only one other that will feature as our Number "5". 

H. Upmann Magnum 48 JAN 16.jpg

• Like 1

Tread carefully, @El Presidente. I remember stating a while ago that this 2009 H.Upmann Limited Edition was not a success and I got some serious 'pushback' or resistance to my objective comment. Of course, I meant that the success was in regard to sales but still, this cigar has its strong admirers who may not like it listed here! 😁

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JohnS said:

Tread carefully, @El Presidente. I remember stating a while ago that this 2009 H.Upmann Limited Edition was not a success and I got some serious 'pushback' or resistance to my objective comment. Of course, I meant that the success was in regard to sales but still, this cigar has its strong admirers who may not like it listed here! 😁

I can only call it as I saw it :D

If I remember correctly it was discounted out a few time at the $189 mark.  One hard motherducker to move. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, El Presidente said:

I can only call it as I saw it :D

If I remember correctly it was discounted out a few time at the $189 mark.  One hard motherducker to move. 

You could sell out quickly at well over twice the price now. Timing is everything...

On 9/1/2022 at 4:11 AM, BrightonCorgi said:

Vegueros is one cigar I cannot forget.  I had the No. 1 from the original release and can still taste the fresh cut lawn in my mind.  Could not get rid of that taste which seemed like forever...  Way too grassy tasting.  Such a shame as they're rolled really well.  Who at Habanos came up with that blend?

Ha, yes, the original Vegueros were pure grass. Remarkably so. I actually enjoyed it. Very refreshing as a change of pace but certainly not an everyday cigar. Freshly cut lawn can be pretty pleasant--in moderation. 

I think the blend was intended to be a variation of Cohiba. Cohiba at the time definitely had that grass. I think they took the 20% grass and 80% other in Cohiba and made the Vegueros 80% grass and 20% other. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Ha, yes, the original Vegueros were pure grass. Remarkably so. I actually enjoyed it. Very refreshing as a change of pace but certainly not an everyday cigar. Freshly cut lawn can be pretty pleasant--in moderation. 

I think the blend was intended to be a variation of Cohiba. Cohiba at the time definitely had that grass. I think they took the 20% grass and 80% other in Cohiba and made the Vegueros 80% grass and 20% other. 

I should've tried them again on a more recent year.  I was one and done after that 5 pack.  Vegueros seem to be top notch rolling at least.

• El Presidente changed the title to Top 12 all time retail stinkers.....Number 5: Trinidad Short Robusto T 2009 LE

Number 5

Trinidad Short Robusto T  LE 2010

This release sat around for years. It was poorly conceived, expensive (for the time) and in 12's only. 

I always suspected this LE release was designed to piggyback on the very successful Trinidad Robusto T release.  The problem was that it was half the cigar the Robusto T was in almost every aspect but price :D

This was a retail dog.

Trinidad Short Robusto T July 16.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Number 5

Trinidad Short Robusto T  LE 2010

This release sat around for years. It was poorly conceived, expensive (for the time) and in 12's only. 

I always suspected this LE release was designed to piggyback on the very successful Trinidad Robusto T release.  The problem was that it was half the cigar the Robusto T was in almost every aspect but price :D

This was a retail dog.

I actually thought this little sucker would be in the tôp three. I did buy a box and found them to be tasty little suckers  . That said far to small and a bit of a waste of time. A little cigar in 12 count. Dumb move 

• El Presidente changed the title to Top 12 all time retail stinkers.....Number 1 : Habanos Estuche X Festival 2008