Your favorite Non-Cubans

Given the current state of the market, I’m trying to hold onto as much of my Cuban stock as possible. And with that, I’m reaching more for a NC to fill in the in between times.

My issue is simple, I can’t handle the nicotine and pepper levels of many NCs. Therefore I often feel like I’m walking somewhat of a minefield when trying new stuff.

So my next logical step? Ask this fine crew what you all enjoy. My goal is not to debate NC vs CC. Simply to get some recos for things I may have not tried that are not high in the pepper or nicotine dept but are high on flavor.

• Like 3

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

aaand the box came in just as I was typing up the reply.  Here's a few shots of this d'Crossier box:

This arrived today thanks to you guys. Excited to try these!

Illusione Epernay and Oliva Melanio

I'm in the same boat regarding pepper and nicotine...looking at a La Flor Dominicana turns my stomach.

The last great NC I had was an aged (I think it was a little older due to the red band) l'Atelier Lancero Maduro. It had a beautiful salty/mineral finish (sort of like drinking a very high sodium content sparkling mineral water) and almost a Szechuan peppercorn sensation. I really loved it.

I'd also love to hear more suggestions.

• Like 1

Big fan of the Haut 10, Villa Casdagli, traditional Casdagli line, Casdagli DOTW Wide Churchill…they’ve become a favorite line.  I never shun a Davidoff or Arturo Fuente.   Big fan of most Byron - especially the Poema.  LH cigars are very good.  Too many to list but these come to mind. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, stevenhaugen said:
I'd highly recommend the Ashton ESG - it is a very complex, almost perfumed smoke and it is one of my favourite NCs. My other two favourites are the Padron 1926 No.1 Maduro and the Fuente Opus X although these are strong, rich and will almost definitely hit you nicotine wise.
Davidoff's Grand Cru and Anniversario line are also very nice and creamy although they are hardly cheap
Good luck!

Thanks. Yeah I’ve found that the 1926 need a few years for me to smoke without putting me on the floor. But once they mellow they are fantastic.

12 hours ago, Ford2112 said:
Illusione Epernay and Oliva Melanio

Do you like the melanio or melanio maduro better?

Just now, HoyoFan said:

I'm a fan of the Toro Melanio, With some rest in the humidor they smoke good,but they are not mild by any stretch. Sometimes I'm in the mood to be abused lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, HoyoFan said:

I tried the Maduro version of the Melanio but personally preferred the Natrual. Didn’t see what all the hype was about tbh

found the natural to be more flavoursome… to my taste (which is odd as I almost always prefer Maduro)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stevenhaugen said:

I tried the Maduro version of the Melanio but personally preferred the Natrual. Didn’t see what all the hype was about tbh

found the natural to be more flavoursome… to my taste (which is odd as I almost always prefer Maduro)

Same

7 minutes ago, HoyoFan said:

Which Caldwells do you like? My understanding is that can be quiet strong.

The last tsar was milder by my recollection. I'm smoking a 5er sampler this week, the midnight express was quite strong, but flavorful like a Fuente anejo or BBF. If you're used to holding stock for a couple of years, it's a fine one.

• Like 2

Illusione - the whole catalog 

Tatuaje - black label, brown label, most le’s

Aganorsa leaf - supreme leaf and rare leaf reserve 

Arturo fuente - anejo, don Carlos, casa Cuba double Quattro

E.P Carrillo - pledge prequel, la historia, TAA 2021

My Father - le bijou 1922, original blue, la promesa Lancero, the judge

Dunbarton tobacco- mi querida tt and sobramesa maduro

• Like 4

*I would suggest too the Ashton ESG - VERY nice smoke; the Casdaglia Daughters of the Dust - frighteningly close to a Habana smoke: also (believe it or not) the regular Honduran Punch RARE COROJO - also frighteningly close to a Cuban smoke; and Zino Platinums, which if you don't mind donating a kidney can be a very pleasant experience. I would recommend getting these out of Mike's Cigar Company catalog sampler specials. They sometimes add this smoke to their sampler section for a very reasonable bargain price. 

• Like 2

After 90 days rest, Oliva Melanio Figurado and EP Carillo Encore Majestic are worth trying.  That said, I’m looking forward to the next Nudies release.

Dunbarton tobaco and trust (Steve Saka products) are my go to NCs at the moment - great quality rich sticks.

Most cuban like is the mild-medium Fuente cameroon wrapper stuff- amazing value

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Mild - Ashton Classic, Davidoff Grand Cru, Macanudo Gold Label

Mild/Medium - Ashton Cabinet Selection, Davidoff Signature, La Aurora Preferidos Gold, The Griffins, Padron Damaso

Medium - Ashton Heritage Puro Sol, Davidoff Aniversario, Ashton Maduro, Arturo Fuente Don Carlos

• Like 2

• JohnS changed the title to Your favorite Non-Cubans