Rebuilding my old mountain bike, curious if there are others who cycle

12 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

No one else here are Campagnolo riders?  😢

It's always been so finicky for me. I was primarily SRAM until they had the Red 22 "hope you're ready for your rear derailleur to explode" issues. Now just stick with Shimano--straightforward and durable. 

13 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

No one else here are Campagnolo riders?  😢

All my bikes are Campag, with an Athena / Chorus / Record Pista mix. But mostly I ride fixed gear around town. And honestly I’m more into the aesthetic and feel rather than performance, so I have a load of old British built steel. Hetchins, Mercian, Witcomb, a Villiers (made very few frames), and a Bates with the crazy upside down looking forks. Trad spoked wheels, single bolt stems, no carbon anything. All heavy and slow by today’s standards, but beautiful.

Here’s my 35 year old Mercian carrying some 8ft long garden canes:

A9F0FC0D-E50F-4B09-96DA-26D0F794B303.jpeg.4624cfbd25aafedecb126e573b889b0c.jpeg

• Like 3

My son uses my wife's '96 GT Karakoram as his daily commuter.  He wanted me to remove the sweet bar ends but I had to veto that request.  It's a little small for him hence the ridiculously high seat tube.  Steel is real.

51998515321_c145bd7964_b.jpg

My mountain bike looks suspiciously like @Islandboy 's bike, though Colorado's got slightly taller mountains than Maui.

51999032845_17781425c9_b.jpg

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Cletus said:

My son uses my wife's '96 GT Karakoram as his daily commuter.  He wanted me to remove the sweet bar ends but I had to veto that request.  It's a little small for him hence the ridiculously high seat tube.  Steel is real.

My mountain bike looks suspiciously like @Islandboy 's bike, though Colorado's got slightly taller mountains than Maui.

Nice! Nothing like a bright green Mojo to impress the ladies, haha.

I remember having bar ends back in the day...I actually find myself missing that extra hand position on climbs every now and then. I look forward to their comeback 😆

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, RDB said:

All my bikes are Campag, with an Athena / Chorus / Record Pista mix. But mostly I ride fixed gear around town. And honestly I’m more into the aesthetic and feel rather than performance, so I have a load of old British built steel. Hetchins, Mercian, Witcomb, a Villiers (made very few frames), and a Bates with the crazy upside down looking forks. Trad spoked wheels, single bolt stems, no carbon anything. All heavy and slow by today’s standards, but beautiful.

Here’s my 35 year old Mercian carrying some 8ft long garden canes:

You are a true patron of cycling.  Very cool stuff.  I wanted a Witcomb when I was young.

Though not a true patron of cycling. LOL.

Fat tire Voltbike Yukon 750 . Mostly gravel lots of hills. Back into riding  at 60 , the Ebike makes it fun/possible to ride like 25 again , well almost .😎 

bike 2022.jpg

• Like 1

One wall in my garage is all cycling posters.  I have more to frame, but slowed down some.  The Giovanni Battaglin & Lance Armstrong pictures are autographed.

wall.jpg

• Like 3

The roughly 30 year old elastomers were crumbling so I started parts shopping.  New front suspension, front and rear derailleurs, brakes, neck, handlebars, pedals, grips, shifters, brake levers, bottom bracket cranks.  Waiting on a few more items but almost there.

20220416_124549.jpg

16502299324246300313697875784850.jpg

• Like 2

My mountain bike is my main mode of transport nowadays. Not really a trail rider but like bicycle tours in the country and also overseas when on holidays. Have ridden a bike since 5or6yo, now 55. Wish I had the legs to show for it though. Ha ha!

• Like 1

Just installed new bars and stem on my Cape bike.  As I get older, the frames and reach decline.  I wanted a shallow drop, traditional style bend handle bar.  These are from FSA and I went on size smaller on the stem than what I had.  First chance to take it for a ride and am quite pleased.  My hands naturally drop right on the brake hoods, where previously was just short of that.  Kind of in no man's land.  I swapped the wheels as well with my BMC.  Digging the white wheels with bike trim.

new stem and bar.jpg

• Like 4