Regionals you miss. Regionals you wish you bought more of.

9 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Ramon Allones Celestiales Finos

Very good but I would put it in the second tier, although they are still going strong at 10+ years and might end up getting in the club.

I paid about $210 for the one box I bought in Oct 09. It was still the wild west for ERs.

8 hours ago, targa88 said:

Diplomaticos Canada RE Nortenos (2018)

Still easily found at reasonable prices. 

8 hours ago, TBird55 said:

but would love to have been able to grab a couple more cabs of these.

Yes, I would put the Sir David up there as one of the heavy hitters, particularly in terms of investment. 

9 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Por Larranaga Robusto at the 5 year mark was probably the most sought after cigar in the world. 

It went from "bleh" to "bellisima" in what seemed overnight. 

I bought 5 of these at the Hong Kong airport in early 08. I can attest that they were not very good. A textbook 5-year bloomer. 

The Belicosos were better ROTT but took 6 or 7 years to pop. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't buy many regionals, but would love to have been able to grab a couple more cabs of these.

I should have kept 50 boxes of these for myself.  For lovers of fuller bodied cigars. It took 5 years for them to become approachable.  Ramon Allones Celestiales Finos   

Saint Luis Rey Pacificos - Asia Pacifico 2009. Smoked one during the weekend after a long time, and they still deliver one of the most enjoyable experiences. Thankfully (or sadly really) still have ab

19 hours ago, El Presidente said:

I should have kept 50 boxes of these for myself. 

For lovers of fuller bodied cigars. It took 5 years for them to become approachable. 

Ramon Allones Celestiales Finos

It is a wonder that anyone who frequents this forum bought a single let alone any boxes of this cigar after seeing the FOH video review. It was so strong young that it looked as if our host was going to hurl. I was interested in buying because of the size but was turned off by early consensus that this thing was a nicotine beast.

• Like 1

The ones that actually tasted like their marcas. Very few in the grand scheme of the program. For me, those would have been: 

Por Larrañaga Magnificos (U.K.). 

Bolivar Armonias (China). 

Punch Clasicos (109 for Switzerland)

La Flor de Cano Gran Cano (Great Britain). This is the ONLY LFDC regional to date that tastes anything like the old Short Churchills and Diademas. It's even aging like the old Flor de Canos. Beyond brilliant. 

• Like 3

Kon Tiki and Bushido - I'm loving the 109s.  Thankfully I've got half a cab remaining of each but they smoke so well, they are going fast!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Carrie Nation said:
La Flor de Cano Gran Cano (Great Britain). This is the ONLY LFDC regional to date that tastes anything like the old Short Churchills and Diademas. It's even aging like the old Flor de Canos. Beyond brilliant. 

I'm so glad to hear this! I've always wanted to try one of the old LFDC Short Churchills or Diademas but never had the opportunity - to know that the Gran Canos are in line with that - so awesome, I'm beyond pleased to have a few boxes of this those!

Thanks for making my day, mate! :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, joeypots said:

It is a wonder that anyone who frequents this forum bought a single let alone any boxes of this cigar after seeing the FOH video review. It was so strong young that it looked as if our host was going to hurl. I was interested in buying because of the size but was turned off by early consensus that this thing was a nicotine beast.

I bought them because they were so strong.  I figured if any cigar was going to have aging potential, this would be it.  Also, Rob was clearing them out at great prices back then, so why not buy a few boxes I thought to myself?  FWIW, they smoked very strong right up to their 3rd year. After that they were bold in flavour but not nicotine hit/sweats, etc. 

• Like 2

I only started smoking in 2009, so by the time I found out about the Bolivar Especiales No 2, they were long gone. I did manage to get a single through a friend and loved it.

I also missed out on the Bolivar 5ta Avenida.  And I wish I had more Bolivar Bosphorus. 

I didn't miss out on the La Escepion Selectos Finos.  A lot of those boxes went through my hands. About 10 of which I kept for myself.  Smoked through many, sold and traded off a few. (Which I now regret) I still have a few boxes so I really can't complain.  Bought a few Don Jose boxes as well.

I did get a few boxes of RACF,  RA Gorditos, RA Super Ramones, Juan Lopez Seleccion Superba, LGC Invictos, Diplomaticos Norteanos , the first 3 Cuban regionals, LGC Deliciosos, ERDM Infantes and SLR Marquez, Punch 898 and Punch Mantua.

Would have love more RA Gladiatores, Diplomaticos Bushido, ERDM La Reina

• Like 2

20 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

LGC Orgullosos

Had my first last week...only one box...immediately wanted more.  The prices though....woof.

la-gloria-cubana-orgullosos1-jpg.jpg.06b99e7e7436abe4be5167df4163bdda.jpg

2 hours ago, Chibearsv said:

Kon Tiki and Bushido - I'm loving the 109s.  Thankfully I've got half a cab remaining of each but they smoke so well, they are going fast!

Never did manage to get my hands on (even a few of) them!  Maybe it's better not knowing what I missed, haha!

diplomaticos-bushido-jpg.jpg.951660ba62a1826c0295cefa5c31325e.jpg

el-rey-del-mundo-kon-tiki-1973-jpg.jpg.17fc125e4bdc2233bb3629be57d8dc03.jpg

19 hours ago, targa88 said:

Diplomaticos Canada RE Nortenos (2018)

Enjoyed these so much on release that I bought 4 boxes.  They were smoking well until a little over a year ago.  Currently, they're very muted, delivering harsh hay like notes.

diplomaticos-nortenos1-jpg.jpg.521cba28a9d2bd316f9671f660567f7f.jpg

19 hours ago, Eric05 said:

PL Asia Pacifico 07(I know 08 they did another robusto)

The PL Belicosos Extra from 08 are worth a mention as well.  IMO, a blockbuster release.  Down to the last half of my last cab of them - going to miss them!

por-larranaga-belicosos-extra-jpg.jpg.af615578fa1b6df55875a74094fc9c9a.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, david9985 said:

La Flor de Cano Short Robusto - UK 2010 regional

This was up there with the best cigars I have ever smoked.

Agree 100%. Not a huge fan of the vitola, but what a great cigar that delivers so much in so little time.

3 hours ago, Chibearsv said:

Kon Tiki and Bushido - I'm loving the 109s.

They have done very well with pretty much all of the 109s. The only one that I never heard rave reviews about was the 11 Punch Clasicos but I doubt they were lousy. And they seemed to vanish from the scene pretty quickly which is usually a good sign. 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 12:21 PM, TBird55 said:

I don't buy many regionals, but would love to have been able to grab a couple more cabs of these.

At 1200 cabs I'm happy I have one. Competing with Hong Kong CEOs and Saudi Prince types I'd say we are lucky!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jackupster said:

At 1200 cabs I'm happy I have one. Competing with Hong Kong CEOs and Saudi Prince types I'd say we are lucky!

Yes, very fortunate,. Had 6 singles that I really enjoyed. I think these can really be something special with a few years on them.

I haven't really chased regionals, but the Bolivar Especiales #2 were great. I have one cigar left and kick myself for not buying more. I went through a lot of RA CF's but don't think they rose to "great" by the time I ran out.

• Like 2

On 3/9/2022 at 8:21 PM, Jonboy4074 said:

These. Shoulda bought multiples instead of just one.

20210215_101137.jpg

I only have one of these, from the 2019 Christmas sampler. I tend to treat the regionals as special occasion smokes. Good to know I have something great to look forward to!

• Like 1

Diplomatico Bushido's are 1, 2 and 3 on my list. I was able to acquire about half a box from a few different spots and every cigar was wonderful. I have a couple left and I havent smoked one in a while. 

I did find some real gems in Havana this week though. I loved both the 2018 Punch La Isla and 2019 San Cristobal La Cabana. I found two boxes of each, but left a clearly water damaged box of La Isla's in Pinar del Rio. 

20220309_175524.jpg.344963820530fc547758fd8e4aaf92e3.jpg

20220309_180256.jpg.e48b2b556e1ad2459f5e19f1e031dbe8.jpg

• Like 3