Pure B***shit: Novak Djokovic granted medical exemption to play at Australian Open

9 hours ago, El Presidente said:

I honestly don't believe it is about his health threat to the Australian Public. That horse has bolted. 

What it is about is the messaging to the majority of the Australian populace who bought into and worked with the restrictions and hardships. Specifically those Oz citizens who were barred from entry or moving freely internally to see family and loved ones. 

This decision is a middle finger to them/us.  It doesn't pass the pub test and will have ramifications the next time the public is  asked to make sacrifices for the greater good.

Deny his visa. Move on and focus on larger issues.  This has little to do with Djokovic. It is all to do with the principal of fairness and egalitarianism which we have always taken pride in (sandpapergate and underarm bowling excluded :D)

think that is probably all true. agree completely re not passing the pub test. 

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.theshovel.com.au/2022/01/05/independent-panels-novak-djokovic-incredibly-rich/?fbclid=IwAR19lO8-O-BSYdqun0mUzX0ENzaEmxOlF1I01sPF2Isz757uYScJrTgp-xE Independent panels conclude that No

IMG_9356.MP4  

So some Aussies haven't been able to come home from overseas for 18 months due to vaccine hoops you need to jump through.  But wait.   Novak Djokovic granted medical exemption to play a

Word is that his visa has been cancelled, he will appeal to a judge, but that strikes me as a last ditch maneuver unlikely to succeed. Looks like he will be sent home. 

1 minute ago, MrBirdman said:

Word is that his visa has been cancelled, he will appeal to a judge, but that strikes me as a last ditch maneuver unlikely to succeed. Looks like he will be sent home. 

fear not. his father has announced that he is going to fight people in the streets if he cannot stay. 

it does seem curious that they took ND off to his own room and went through all this with him but his father and coach and others have received no attention? not sure of their status. all focus on ND. 

3 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

fear not. his father has announced that he is going to fight people in the streets if he cannot stay. 

it does seem curious that they took ND off to his own room and went through all this with him but his father and coach and others have received no attention? not sure of their status. all focus on ND. 

There’s no doubt an element of political theater to this, but I can’t imagine the Border Force hand-waving other unvaccinated people in his entourage just to focus on ND. Only 26 people, coaches and players, associated with the Tournament applied for exemptions and I don’t think any spectators qualify. 

As an update, the BF decision was made on the grounds that he could not provide sufficient evidence for an exemption. 

Just now, MrBirdman said:

There’s no doubt an element of political theater to this, but I can’t imagine the Border Force hand-waving other unvaccinated people in his entourage just to focus on ND. Only 26 people, coaches and players, associated with the Tournament applied for exemptions and I don’t think any spectators qualify. 

agreed. perhaps they did not have the same qualms about vaxxing as ND. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrBirdman said:

World No.1 Novak Djokovic has been told his visa has been rejected and asked to leave Australia later on Thursday.

Djokovic’s lawyers are in the process of challenging the decision, two sources familiar with the situation confirmed to The Age and Sydney Morning Herald.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

World No.1 Novak Djokovic has been told his visa has been rejected and asked to leave Australia later on Thursday.

Djokovic’s lawyers are in the process of challenging the decision, two sources familiar with the situation confirmed to The Age and Sydney Morning Herald.

Yeah...well, good luck with that! I think we all know what the chances of a successful outcome challenging a visa cancellation is in Australia. It's about on par with challenging the Australian Taxation Office!

Novak Djokovic shouldn't feel too bad as he's definitely not alone when it comes to Visa cancellations/refusals...

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/research-and-statistics/statistics/visa-statistics/visa-cancellation

• Like 2

This is going to make a great episode on Border Force  🍿 

"No entry! you have to be Djoking!"

ND will have to be a little careful now that the issue is with immigration. they don't take a backward step in this country. ;)

Johnny Depp's dogs Boo and Pistol could be put down if they stay in Australia, Barnaby Joyce warns

Hollywood star Johnny Depp has been given until Saturday to get his two pet dogs out of the country or have them put down after he brought them into Australia without declaring them to quarantine.

• Like 1

Tennis Australia is already complaining that ND is being unfairly targeted when other players have already been admitted on a medical exemption. That fails to address the BF claim that his documentation was insufficient. I suspect a lot of ND partisans will bloviate on the persecution of a fabulously wealthy and powerful sports star. 

Unclear whether ND will remain in Australia during appeal. Presumably he’ll complain about persecution if they demand he follow the rules by stating in the designated quarantine facilities. 

10 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

This is going to make a great episode on Border Force  🍿 

"No entry! you have to be Djoking!"

ND will have to be a little careful now that the issue is with immigration. they don't take a backward step in this country. ;)

Johnny Depp's dogs Boo and Pistol could be put down if they stay in Australia, Barnaby Joyce warns

Hollywood star Johnny Depp has been given until Saturday to get his two pet dogs out of the country or have them put down after he brought them into Australia without declaring them to quarantine.

I will would personally like to volunteer to put Barnaby out of his misery. 🌴😎

I dont understand. As a serbian he would have applied for a visa, submit documents, been granted a visa, you book a flight. Wherever he got on the plane they woud have checked his visa and documents, at dubai they would have checked his visa and documents... yet when he lands hes refused? Makes no sense what so ever and seems ABF is acting like a child and going back on something they've already granted? Maybe hte visa process works differently for sportspeople.

My inlaws recently arrived in Australia. One is vaccinated and one can not get any currently available covid vaccines (and some other ones as well). it was all fine, they had more hassles going through paperwork and pre screening in dubai than they had on arrival in Melbourne.

Just now, bmac said:

Prez -I’m pretty sure you called the joker a tool when I posted about this very subject a couple of months ago,or maybe you were referring to the author of the post?🙈

dead set tools. Both. :D

3 minutes ago, LordAnubis said:

I dont understand. As a serbian he would have applied for a visa, submit documents, been granted a visa, you book a flight. Wherever he got on the plane they woud have checked his visa and documents, at dubai they would have checked his visa and documents... yet when he lands hes refused? Makes no sense what so ever and seems ABF is acting like a child and going back on something they've already granted? Maybe hte visa process works differently for sportspeople.

My inlaws recently arrived in Australia. One is vaccinated and one can not get any currently available covid vaccines (and some other ones as well). it was all fine, they had more hassles going through paperwork and pre screening in dubai than they had on arrival in Melbourne.

Mus,  I know of two Aussie mates (you know one) who have been turned away from US entry because their Visa Waiver application was inaccurate.  cross t's and Dot i's

assume ND doesn't fill in his own visa applications. 

• Like 1

"This decision is a middle finger to them/us.  It doesn't pass the pub test and will have ramifications the next time the public is  asked to make sacrifices for the greater good."

El Prez - this is what happened here in the states when the BLM riots hit the streets in June. Riots for causes a political class agree with and the rules no longer apply.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LordAnubis said:

mus, he is a billionaire who flies around the world. if he does not have his own plane and crew, i'd be stunned. 

but if the officials in whoop whoop or wherever he came from checked his docs, every chance they were perhaps not quite so vigilant as they might have been if he was not world famous and rich and leaving their country, not entering it. 

the exemption was apparently granted by the victorian govt, not the federal govt and not the border force. seems the victorian govt may not have got it right (i'm sure a complete coincidence that they see dollars following him). 

6 minutes ago, bassistheplace said:

"This decision is a middle finger to them/us.  It doesn't pass the pub test and will have ramifications the next time the public is  asked to make sacrifices for the greater good."

El Prez - this is what happened here in the states when the BLM riots hit the streets in June. Riots for causes a political class agree with and the rules no longer apply.

Leave it to the Americans to bring this issue back to US politics…can we not please?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bassistheplace said:

aussies take this seriously but if you think that it will result in riots in the streets, forget it. a few serbians perhaps. otherwise, i'm assuming it is illegal to do so. not that this would stop us if it was a matter of import. 

it is summer. if you are not at the beach, you are in front of the cricket. if you think we are leaving the beach and/or cricket to riot over a tosser tennis player, you have never met an aussie. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

mus, he is a billionaire who flies around the world. if he does not have his own plane and crew, i'd be stunned. 

but if the officials in whoop whoop or wherever he came from checked his docs, every chance they were perhaps not quite so vigilant as they might have been if he was not world famous and rich and leaving their country, not entering it. 

the exemption was apparently granted by the victorian govt, not the federal govt and not the border force. seems the victorian govt may not have got it right (i'm sure a complete coincidence that they see dollars following him). 

From what i read he flew in on an Emirates flight. Checking in Dubai is a matter of "do you have a visa"? that's all... but if you dont have that proof of a granted visa you don't get on the plane... but yeah if his assistant applied for the wrong visa or whatever then that's their fault and certainly no "principles" or "justice to the people" by scomo and ABF.

6 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

aussies take this seriously but if you think that it will result in riots in the streets, forget it. a few serbians perhaps. otherwise, i'm assuming it is illegal to do so. not that this would stop us if it was a matter of import. 

it is summer. if you are not at the beach, you are in front of the cricket. if you think we are leaving the beach and/or cricket to riot over a tosser tennis player, you have never met an aussie. 

Is anyone still watching the cricket? it almost feels illegal to watch the aussies annihalate the under 9s team that England sent over... 

Not sure when we slid from "trust medical experts" to "the pub test." 

Definitely feel for Australians (or everyone) who have suffered under asinine Covid bureaucracy. This event could have been used as a moment to reevaluate these regulations, get people home, loosen movement - instead the government got a mob decree to button everything up again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, porkchop said:

Not sure when we slid from "trust medical experts" to "the pub test." 

Definitely feel for Australians (or everyone) who have suffered under asinine Covid bureaucracy. This event could have been used as a moment to reevaluate these regulations, get people home, loosen movement - instead the government got a mob decree to button everything up again.

This is a question of fairness in a country with democratic norms, not COVID policy. The idea that ND would trigger a relaxation of these regulations on behalf of the persecuted plight of a rich and powerful man is what offends people. 

• Like 3