The Visual Aspect Of Cigar Enjoyment

I was just sitting here thinking about how bad my eyesight is getting and got to considering how much the visual contributes to my enjoyment of smoking a cigar.    I came to the surprising realization that if I was to totally lose my sight that I probably wouldn't enjoy cigars enough to continue the past time. Seems crazy but I guess I just didn't understand how much my sense of sight contributes to my cigar enjoyment.   Does anyone else feel this way or is it just me?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yes totally agree. If took out the visual there would be less enjoyment. I'd be at a loss if I lost any of it really. Vision, Touch, Smell, Taste. They all work together to give a glorious experience of cigar smoking.

If I wake up to be Ray Charles, I'd ask if the wrapper is uniform in color. Then I'll  touch it and I'll feel if it's oily. I'm sure I'll cut it right then I'll beg anyone to light it for me so I cannot add to my misery by burning my fingers. The enjoyment will be bigger as I'll be a depressed because of blindness and that cigar will be a relieve from it. 

If I only lose a bit of sight, then I won't to have to worry about the authencity of the band or the wrapper will look smooth with no veins anyway I'll keep smoking. Might even enjoy fakes aswell

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Juliano88 said:

I believe the visual aspect is very important. There is a joy of looking at a well fermented, oily wrapper leaf and seeing a halfwheel within a cabinet of 50. 

Yeah for sure.   I was more thinking about the actual smoking part,  if you couldn't see the smoke coming off the cigar or out of your mouth on the exhale how much would that take away from the enjoyment?   Guess I could smoke one with a blindfold on and find out but I don't think I care that much. 

1 hour ago, clint said:

Yeah for sure.   I was more thinking about the actual smoking part,  if you couldn't see the smoke coming off the cigar or out of your mouth on the exhale how much would that take away from the enjoyment?   Guess I could smoke one with a blindfold on and find out but I don't think I care that much. 

Ahhh I see what you're saying. Ya as long as I can enjoy the flavors I don't really care too much as well. Maybe to see if the cigar is burning well and there is no wrapper breakage, but I'm with you, I don't care much of the visual aspect when smoking.

Hopefully the uptick in other senses that often comes with losing one will make it worthwhile to continue, but I get the point.  Interesting question.