Will there be a completed NFL season this year?

Ken and I were talking about this during last weeks Monte 2 review. 

Playing in front of empty stadiums or reduced capacity stadiums is the easy part and has proved relatively successful around the world for soccer/rugby over the past two months. 

NFL is a little different.  Say 55 players per team + staff (coaching and admin).  Flying across country (assuming no playing bubbles).  Given the level of infections, what happens when say Tampa comes down with 14 infections the week before they play NY in NY or the Falcons similarly are affected 2 days before they play Chicago? 

Do they have a plan on how to handle it at this stage? A successful NFL season would appear to be one of the great sporting administration masterstrokes of all time if they can pull it off. 

Do they have a chance? How can they achieve it? :thinking: 

Gotta do the bubble like the NBA. MLB has gone like 20 straight days with a game canceled due to someone testing positive for COVID-19. They can make up games a lot easier than the NFL can, but you just can't have that many people moving around without a few positives coming up

2 hours ago, Meklown said:

Bubbles like how they do it in F1?

Unsure how they do it in F1, but he’s likely referring to what the NBA is doing currently - all playing teams in one isolated and quarantined location, not allowed to leave, with the goal being that if everyone is healthy, everyone will stay healthy. 

26 minutes ago, Zaxeiler said:

Unsure how they do it in F1, but he’s likely referring to what the NBA is doing currently - all playing teams in one isolated and quarantined location, not allowed to leave, with the goal being that if everyone is healthy, everyone will stay healthy. 

Yup of course - but the original question from prez was exploring how they were to do it if it involves cross-country travel, across different stadiums, etc. I was saying that this is being done in F1 where they move across countries (Europe, so far) but still continue to maintain their bubbles. They do it by having one big bubble over the entire sport, while also having small bubbles between and within teams, with minimal points of contact between these mini bubbles. 

• Thanks 1

Great question. I just don’t see how they can do it with that many players and staff on a team flying around the country. It’s going to be especially tough when you get to say week eight. Do you think a 23 year old on a 1-6 team is going to be vigilant about covid? These guys are not going to be staying in their hotel rooms for 2 months when their season is effectively over in October.

Hate to be a poo poo guy but I'm surprised the MLB has made it as far as they have.  Someone mentioned it's easier to make games up in baseball? Ask the Cardinals how easy that's going to be?  I don't remember the exact number but somewhere close to a dozen DB headers in a span of 20 days???  Brutal...what the heck does that do to ones pitching staff and bullpen not to mention the rest of the team. 

NFL....I just don't see it making a full season.  All those sweaty, gruntin' animals in the pit spewing droplets up and down the line.  All it'll take is just one.  Hope it's doesn't happen but what if one team goes down...they're screwed.  I think the majority of the players have the discipline but all it's going to take is one knucklehead and every team seems to have at least one of those. ?

:unknown:  

I don't see them finishing the season. Too close of contact and too many players that likely won't stay in the bubble if that's the way they go. NFL owners are a greedy bunch though and I think they'll push as hard as they can to play a full season. 

Less and less are caring about the NFL.  There will be something of a "season".  A lot fewer in the States are watching NBA and families are starting to do other things on Sundays instead of watching the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Less and less are caring about the NFL.  There will be something of a "season".  A lot fewer in the States are watching NBA and families are starting to do other things on Sundays instead of watching the game.

I have to respectfully disagree with you on this.  I actually believe the NFL ratings are going to go up this year compared to previous years.  Very little or no college football is reason #1.  So once we get to October, the NFL will be one of the only major sports to watch.  No MLB, no NBA, no NHL, no College FB.  This is also why I believe the NFL is going to do everything humanly possible to play a full season...because if they do it will make people very rich.  Not only the league and owners, but also the networks.

(Well...this is at least what I tell myself in order to keep my mind from tearing up over the possibility of no NFL!)

Edited by T.52
update
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, T.52 said:

I have to respectfully disagree with you on this.  I actually believe the NFL ratings are going to go up this year compared to previous years.  Very little or no college football is reason #1.  So once we get to October, the NFL will be one of the only major sports to watch.  No MLB, no NBA, no NHL, no College FB.

You could be right.  My take is the NFL has been alienating than core fan base, but Sundays are for NFL and everyone wants to see a New England - Tampa Super Bowl ?

Reduce the season to 8 games. Basically play your division twice and tow outside division games. All with the same teams. You stay in your division bubble for the duration and only play every two weeks. Then playoffs are done in a bubble. 

The NFL is the most "next man up" league in professional sports.  Especially with the (presumed) cancellation of the college season, there will be ample bodies to throw in there.  Barring some incredible outbreak on multiple teams at once, I think they will figure it out....and players in this sport - more than most - are willing to take the chance, due to the extremely short career spans

5 hours ago, PigFish said:

Who cares?

While skirting the political issue which dominates my mind about professional sports, as they disrespect the country and the economic system that made these damn fools rich, just to support a Marxist movement that would strip them of their wealth with everyone else, they feign to be concerned about people they spit on as they are rude to them in the drive through, I find pro sports filled with the morally null! MHO.

Cheers!

ray, congratulations on completely re-writing the definition of "skirting".

best

kbg 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1