Zoom Video Review - Partagas Presidente - UBM JUN 19

MoeFOH

Home made ginger beer............Jesus Christ!  I remember working away in Kuwait for 6mths, and with a mixture of boredom and a zero booze policy in full effect.  I shredded up some ginger, sugar, yeast etc.  Anyway a week later, and with bulging bottles, I thought i'd let off a bit of the pressure off. The 2.5 litre bottle exploded, with just force it broke ceiling tiles in half,  and set off the bottle next to it, until  every square inch of the rented kitchen was covered in sugary ginger mess.   I had to pull out all the fridges, washing machines etc etc.  hours of mopping.......and not a drop to drink........sad times.

Hats off to you @Ken Gargett , you make it sound a great deal simpler, than my first attempt. 

• Haha 3

Great review! I picked up some with the same factory but a May date code. I LOVED this cigar because it was different than any other Partagas I have enjoyed in the past. No Partagas spice DNA and logged it had honey, citrus, cedar, and mineral notes. Such an unexpected cigar. Fantastic! 

3 hours ago, benfica_77 said:

Saving Private Ryan !! ... I'm feeling the self-satisfaction ?

correct. we have one down. 

2 hours ago, 99call said:

Home made ginger beer............Jesus Christ!  I remember working away in Kuwait for 6mths, and with a mixture of boredom and a zero booze policy in full effect.  I shredded up some ginger, sugar, yeast etc.  Anyway a week later, and with bulging bottles, I thought i'd let off a bit of the pressure off. The 2.5 litre bottle exploded, with just force it broke ceiling tiles in half,  and set off the bottle next to it, until  every square inch of the rented kitchen was covered in sugary ginger mess.   I had to pull out all the fridges, washing machines etc etc.  hours of mopping.......and not a drop to drink........sad times.

Hats off to you @Ken Gargett , you make it sound a great deal simpler, than my first attempt. 

you do know you need to have that little plastic thing to allow the CO2 (or whatever) to escape and not build up. without that, you had no chance. 

in the old days in champagne, before they got much stronger bottles, workers wore a form or a suit of armour in the cellars to avoid death by exploding bottles. even today, walk the cellars and there will be an occasional space where one has exploded. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, benfica_77 said:

Since no one answered the second one....I believe it was Wyatt Earp. So what do I win @Ken Gargett?? A Bruce Springsteen CD? One of your Water jugs from the Deck?? Maybe a piece of your sourdough bread? ?

well done! rob will shower you with amazing prizes. if he does not, a water jug is yours. come by and collect it any time. 

a question. did you get wyatt earp without googling? impressive if you did. 

4 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

correct. we have one down. 

you do know you need to have that little plastic thing to allow the CO2 (or whatever) to escape and not build up. without that, you had no chance. 

in the old days in champagne, before they got much stronger bottles, workers wore a form or a suit of armour in the cellars to avoid death by exploding bottles. even today, walk the cellars and there will be an occasional space where one has exploded. 

@Ken Gargett Still can't believe it made it into the video, It feels like when you videobomb a live tv broadcast!!

Thanks for the recipe, now to find the jar and gas tap to avoid explosions in my kitchen!

I'll follow up with my attempt in a few weeks.

9 minutes ago, KavalanWhisky said:

@Ken Gargett Still can't believe it made it into the video, It feels like when you videobomb a live tv broadcast!!

Thanks for the recipe, now to find the jar and gas tap to avoid explosions in my kitchen!

I'll follow up with my attempt in a few weeks.

the gas tap thingee is crucial. good luck. 

Mint . Never from a Partagas. Aged Montecristo , in particular 2008 Sublimes. I have always been tentative to mention it. Dantes of late for me have a hint of mint. Rob I definitely noticed the green apple in SLR Serie A as well .

33 minutes ago, westg said:

Mint . Never from a Partagas. Aged Montecristo , in particular 2008 Sublimes. I have always been tentative to mention it. Dantes of late for me have a hint of mint. Rob I definitely noticed the green apple in SLR Serie A as well .

westie, for me, never before. i think this might just have been an outlier and perhaps i'll never see it in a partagas again. it really was a big surprise. 

• Like 1

Interesting coincidence, I watched this and I’d just opened a bottle of Santiago 11 not an hour earlier. Not the easiest to find, but a wondrously good rum.

43 minutes ago, westg said:

What on earth is Rob wearing. A gown of some description

I think they call it "Scarface Chic",   I don't know about you, but that combined with the giant aquarium, keeps on making me expect a rival cigar cartel to burst in mid review and blow him and the tropical fish to smithereens with some 1980's uzi's

1 hour ago, westg said:

What on earth is Rob wearing. A gown of some description

i have learnt not to comment on whipcrack's fashion sense. originally i thought he was trying to be amusing or ironic (not sure how that works) but i was stunned to learn that he was not and that he actually believes he has fashion sense. terrifying. 

I really enjoy pyramids a lot.  When I saw these first come up on the 24:24 I grabbed a 1/4 box.   Flavor profile wise they are not in my usual wheel house.   But there is something about the earthy, leather, cedar notes in these.  I smoked my second to last one a couple weeks ago with my friend and he mentioned we needed to get some more so when I saw it come up this weekend I snapped up a couple quarter boxes.