San Cristobal de la Habana Prado LCDH LGR SEP 18 FWRC

Guest Nekhyludov

Guest Nekhyludov

The Prado is a good looking cigar in a great little vitola - a Petit Belicoso, basically a Robusto with a tapered head. It was the vitola that prompted me to buy a box. I'm generally a big fan of smaller SCdlH, and most of the recent LCDH releases have been very good to great. These just passed 90 days of acclimatizing in my humidor, so it's time to take one for a spin.

The wrapper is exactly what I hope to see on SCdlHs - rich milk chocolate in color with a fine texture and just a bit of sheen. The aroma at cold is lightly leathery with a hint of salt. It ignites well and produces a perfectly firm draw and a flaky white ash. 

IMG_20191103_194409.thumb.jpg.bfe4a803db18ec9121cd789d2e024287.jpg

From the first draw, the flavors are vibrant and distinct. Sweet malt and dry wood on the palate, and a deep, earthy salt note on the retrohale.

As the burn moves toward the second third, the malt aspect becomes more straightforwardly woody, although the sweetness remains. It has some resemblance to the syrup sweetness I usually get from El Principles, but it's drier than that. The retrohale has has become heavy, rich, oily, and salty. Like scorched grape oil.

By the final third, there's no remaining trace of the SCdlH malt and syrup character. The wood note is gone and the sweet, oily, salty profile dominates. Without the cereal and earthy sweetness, the final third is remarkably similar to the final third of a young La Trova. Which is remarkable and bodes well for the future.

IMG_20191103_203748.thumb.jpg.3f27a2af74238c9e917717eaa28093ec.jpg

Score: 93

3 hours ago, Chucko8 said:

Nice review thanks. I have been intrigued by these stick and given your review and rating on them shall obtain one to have a try.

I have some, but my box was very new so felt they need some rest period to get better.

I can give you one next time!

• Like 1