La Gloria Cubana Medaille d'Oro No. 2 UNK 2013

Guest Nekhyludov

Guest Nekhyludov

This MdO No.2 was a gift from a generous friend. They've become so rare that I really expected that I would never see one. So I'm very excited for the opportunity.

This is a beautiful example. It has exactly the wrapper type that one hopes for on the best MdO - light and tawny, with a slight velvety tooth. The band is discolored from age; the gold is turning green, but not yet black. The aroma at cold is dry and papery. It lights readily, like dry tinder, and produces a perfect draw and a neat, white stack of dimes ash.

IMG_20191012_183151.thumb.jpg.b026950c39f3c0dce883cfdd4ec88efa.jpg

The very first draw shows the characteristic flavor of high quality, well-aged tobacco. Earthy, sour truffle. Added to that is some rich roasted chestnut in the aroma off the foot.

By the beginning of the second third, a woodiness has emerges that brings a sweet component with it. It's a light, fruity sweetness, close to what I usually enjoy in the No. 4.

The performance has been excellent.

By the final third, the wood aspect become dominat. There isn't much in the way of further evolution. But as the dry wood comes to the fore, it takes on an increasing bitter/sour character as the burn approaches the band. That's where I put the No. 2 down.

I'm very glad to have gotten to spend an hour and a half with this iconic cigar. And although it showed flashes of a nice aged character and some of the LGC DNA, it just didn't reach the heights of some of the best of the marca.

Score: 88

EDIT: I'm an idiot. This isn't for the review weekend. I read ERDM and somehow grabbed a LGC.

IMG_20191012_193715.thumb.jpg.898ab20fb4264179226564f6ffe84df5.jpg

I never knew how rare these were.

I picked up a box of 2014's recently...smoked two so far...neither were spectacular...

But boy does the LGC MDO 2 get a lot of respect around here.

Nice to hold a few of these special sticks.

8 minutes ago, Fugu said:

Sorry for your experience, seems like a subperformer - tastewise. My 2013 MdOs are just about to come into blossom.

Slick how you sneeked in that Gloria Cubana into the CDEFRWC..... :D

Would concur with this, my MUR APR 13 are full on, the last one i had blew my socks off.