New Añejados - RyJ Churchill Tubo

Be still my beating heart. :rolleyes:

To date, the Anejado program is the single biggest F Up that I have witnessed since the involvement of Altadis come Imperial. 

True amateur hour. 

https://www.cigaraficionado.com/index.php/article/romeo-y-julieta-churchill-tubos-join-the-anejados-line

• Haha 4

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I find this edition of the program a lot more plausible than previous incarnations... it didn't seem all that believable that HSA would have rolled cigars in unique vitolas and had them stored somewhe

I had one at Manuel's in Zürich last week. Firstly the place, very friendly staff, great drinks selection, very nice lounge with a modest sized humidor. Don't talk about prices, its Switzerland, every

Who’s the proud owner of a box of ‘07 and ‘11....? me me me me me ? Awkwardly though, I tried the first of the ‘11 box tonight. They have been through the freeze and rested for 45 days. I wa

I’m not surprised people are suspicious of this, I can’t recall them being announced at the festival this year or last year. Why would they not showcase a ‘premium’ release?

It makes sense to me to have regular production releases part of the Anejados line, as you can pay a premium for an aged box and (hopefully) see a progression of flavour that you have paid for. As all of the previous releases were new vitolas for each marca, it is hard to see any value that they presented, particularly as many found them underwhelming. Maybe HSA had a time machine/magic 8 ball that told them these unknown vitolas would sell poorly and to start stashing away regular production cigars 10 years ago? 

18 hours ago, Notsocleaver said:

I guess I'm not getting joke here. A 44% mark up on a box of cigars aged 10 years seems pretty reasonable. Is it just that we are assuming the whole thing is entirely fraudulent?

TBH, I am in the same boat. But then I’ve never smoked any of these Añejados releases. What is the issue? Are they just not v good? Or is it this concern about authenticity? 

20 hours ago, Notsocleaver said:

I guess I'm not getting joke here. A 44% mark up on a box of cigars aged 10 years seems pretty reasonable. Is it just that we are assuming the whole thing is entirely fraudulent?

HSA never mentioned the program prior 2014..... and then "voila!"

I am not aware of  anyone who  has spoken to a factory manager/prior executive involved in this program. 

The cigars to date have bordered from awful to good. Most skewed to awful. 

The Upmann Robusto Anejado came out with three different box codes. 07 11 and 17. 

The Churchill could yet prove to be a gem of a cigar. However it is carrying some serious weight in the saddle before leaving the gates. 

Yes, the Hoyo and Upmann were awful.  But they were evidently aged cigars, as stated.  Just bad aged cigars.

I guess those of us who rapidly snap up the Partagas Coronas Gordas and Montecristo Churchills when they're offered just aren't as smart as the rest of ya'll who never tried any of the Anejados at all.  We'll just have to live with our persistent ignorance, I guess.

Line Anejados was not successful. I assume that this was an attempt by HSA managers to climb the wave of popularity of aged cigars. But the result was pale, professionals creators of the blends could not understand what enthusiasts appreciate in aged cigars.
It looks like an attempt to correct the error - Churchills tubo lends itself well to aging, but it would be more appropriate to start with Por Larranaga, Partagas and Bolivar etc, it is with those vitolas that smokers traditionally smoke aged.

Why did they introduce the program with non standard sizes? They took what looked like a Monte #2 and called it a RyJ piramide, and what looked like a RyJ Churchill and called it the Monte Churchill. Initially I thought they had screwed up and mislabeled them. That was a very dubious start to the program. 

• Like 1

Why did they introduce the program with non standard sizes? They took what looked like a Monte #2 and called it a RyJ piramide, and what looked like a RyJ Churchill and called it the Monte Churchill. Initially I thought they had screwed up and mislabeled them. That was a very dubious start to the program. 

The new format - marketing, the creation of a unique Vitola. They do not allow us to replace Anejados with a regular aged cigar.

• Like 1

I find this edition of the program a lot more plausible than previous incarnations... it didn't seem all that believable that HSA would have rolled cigars in unique vitolas and had them stored somewhere for 8 years without anybody knowing about it. 

It seems a lot more believable that central warehousing isn't that well run, and that a pallet of Churchills in tubes might be neglected in some dark corner for a decade and then discovered and released as an anejados.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I find this edition of the program a lot more plausible than previous incarnations... it didn't seem all that believable that HSA would have rolled cigars in unique vitolas and had them stored somewhere for 8 years without anybody knowing about it. 

It seems a lot more believable that central warehousing isn't that well run, and that a pallet of Chuchills in tubes might be neglected in some dark corner for a decade and then discovered and released as an anjedos.

There is the option worse, it is returned from the retail of cigars which failed to sell. Stamp "revesado" usually put on the boxes, re-directed to the sale.
  • Haha 1

HSA never mentioned the program prior 2014..... and then "voila!"
I am not aware of  anyone who  has spoken to a factory manager/prior executive involved in this program. 
The cigars to date have bordered from awful to good. Most skewed to awful. 
The Upmann Robusto Anejado came out with three different box codes. 07 11 and 17. 

The Churchill could yet prove to be a gem of a cigar. However it is carrying some serious weight in the saddle before leaving the gates. 

Wow. 17 box codes?!? They are supposed to be 5-8 years old

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

I had one at Manuel's in Zürich last week. Firstly the place, very friendly staff, great drinks selection, very nice lounge with a modest sized humidor. Don't talk about prices, its Switzerland, everything is pricey.
So the cigar... Old looking boxes, old tubes but didn't look like aged bands, you know the way the gold oxidises. The dude chose one for me cut it and lit....poor draw. Just no smoke and on the tight side. Spoke to the chap, he produced a perfect draw, still no better so after 5 mins trying he changed it. Thank God I was in a cigar lounge so they could change it, is be gutted if I'd picked up a single, left and for this one. Second one had a near perfect draw, burnt well and was very tasty.
Did it taste like an aged cigar, yes.
Did it taste like an Ryj Churchill, yes.
Was it a good cigar, definitely.
Id rather buy a box of Churchill's and age myself though

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sorry if this has been posted previously, didn't see anything.

What do people think? I was sorely disappointed in the Añejados line initially (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) but the recent Upmann was a real cracker in my mind. Have they turned it around? Can they afford to treat such an iconic cigar as the Churchill with the same sloppiness as previous Añejados?

I'm willing to give it a try (unless the price is outrageous).

992d6e7a26efa02f64e890adc72b591d.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 1