Does a feeling of wonder exist today?

I just finished watching the Apollo 11 movie. It was put together by CNN and is a compilation of all of the old footage and broadcasts from 1969 when we went to the moon. 

I was 19 years old living in Newport News, VA at the time. It was an event that I will never forget. I remember feeling awe, wonder, excitement, trepidation, anticipation, pride, fear, and just about every other emotion that I think everyone else watching at the time was experiencing during that mission. Even though I knew how it was going to turn out, the old footage brought back all of the emotions I had felt 50 years ago next month, and I found myself experiencing the same awe of the accomplishment. 

A few months back there was a thread about what we might expect over the next 50 years. I couldn’t help but think about whether any future events would ever affect kids growing up today in the same way. It seems that every technological breakthrough we experience today is taken for granted; almost expected. Our children walk around with the entire history of our existence in the palm of their hands. It seems that almost nothing amazes them. I couldn’t help but have a feeling of sorrow for the loss of that feeling of excitement for the younger generation. 

I’m just wondering if anyone else has ever thought about this. Do you think anything will ever capture the imagination of almost everyone on earth the way the moon landing did?

• Like 1

I guess that for that generation, going to the moon was the most far fetched idea possible the generation before was possibly man being able to fly in the sky. I suppose each generation has that far fetched limit that will create wonder when it gets broken. 

The next limits? Cure for cancer? Teleportation on a commercial scale not just in a lab with protons? 

37 minutes ago, Hadroxity said:

I feel like the first manned mission to mars, probably by Space X will cause this type of wonder. You should check out some of their live streams of their tests. 

Watching the grasshopper vertical lift off and landing attempts was awe inspiring. It was the moment I knew we would be going back to space.

I get the feeling of wonder all the time. Wondering how the bloody heck we've come to the point where we idolise social media "influencers" whose biggest contribution to society is a photo.

• Like 4

I just finished watching the Apollo 11 movie. It was put together by CNN and is a compilation of all of the old footage and broadcasts from 1969 when we went to the moon. 

I was 19 years old living in Newport News, VA at the time. It was an event that I will never forget. I remember feeling awe, wonder, excitement, trepidation, anticipation, pride, fear, and just about every other emotion that I think everyone else watching at the time was experiencing during that mission. Even though I knew how it was going to turn out, the old footage brought back all of the emotions I had felt 50 years ago next month, and I found myself experiencing the same awe of the accomplishment. 

A few months back there was a thread about what we might expect over the next 50 years. I couldn’t help but think about whether any future events would ever affect kids growing up today in the same way. It seems that every technological breakthrough we experience today is taken for granted; almost expected. Our children walk around with the entire history of our existence in the palm of their hands. It seems that almost nothing amazes them. I couldn’t help but have a feeling of sorrow for the loss of that feeling of excitement for the younger generation. 

I’m just wondering if anyone else has ever thought about this. Do you think anything will ever capture the imagination of almost everyone on earth the way the moon landing did?

Great question. Technology is created and changes so fast these days and with so many sources of media I’m not sure if it has the same awe inspiring effect as when there was only radio, television and print. We were at my wife’s grandmothers house last week and she had us go through some things in the attic. I came across some old Life magazines that I had to take with us. I think you’ll appreciate this.

4fd51297ae8dea7c99ff217dfd993ae4.jpg5e1d1b90ca3870726b7c65f6efe1b811.jpg255de5cb42caadb4ec259d39048a4716.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thirds said:

I find a sense of awe any time I put on a backpack and head out in to nature.  As I’ve gotten older I realize it’s the little things that stir the most wonder; simple things that didn’t come in to focus because I was too busy to notice.  In a world of constant innovation and dizzying pace of technological advancements,  the peace comes by unplugging and tuning out the noise.  The social media world likes to talk a great deal but if you listen, you realize it has nothing to say! 

I hope future generations learn to slow down a bit and smell the proverbial rose.  

With that being said, I wonder what will be on tomorrow’s 24:24 sale? ?

You make a great point, I recently spruced up all the bird feeders etc in the garden and seeing the place full of goldfinches, robins, sparrowhawks, tits etc is amazing, if it's a sign of getting older than I'm happy getting older!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaptainQuintero said:

if it's a sign of getting older than I'm happy getting older!

With age comes wisdom.  Yes, we’re getting older but more importantly, wiser.  I enjoy the birds as well.